Clean air filter every 25 hrs, is it really necessary?

GT48DXLS

Tractorologist
I thought about this when I checked my air filter among other routine pre-start checks today, and saw a very clogged filter. It was mostly mulched grass, mixed with other fines. I thought I just cleaned it a couple hrs of use ago and I was close. I last cleaned it at 174 hrs on the clock.

The maintenance schedule is every 25 hrs, and if followed you are probably good. But in those extra dusty summer conditions while mowing grass, how much trapped fines actually do clog the filter?

I cleaned the filter and housing, and took pictures. I mowed my lawn and then took pictures again. This was one mowing. Here are the results,

182.3 hrs on the clock,

182.3.jpeg

I'm starting clean,

A-1.jpeg

A-2.jpeg

A-4.jpeg

1.3 hrs later, I'm done mowing the yard, Let's take a look....

183.6.jpeg

The filter,

1.jpeg

Underneath,

2.jpeg

I then shook the loose stuff into a box,

4.jpeg

There is cuttings on the outside of the hood air intakes even,

B-1.jpeg

After this little observation, I will clean the filter after I mow as apposed to every 25 hrs, as for anyone else, you may or may not have this kind of fines kicked up in the air after mowing. As for me, 25 hrs seems a bit long....

Food for thought,

Cheers,

Pretty dry conditions and it appears you have a mulching kit which tends to put lots of clippings and dust in the air. Probably not a bad idea to clean off that pre-filter after every mowing.

I usually replace mine once a year. I'll look at mine this weekend, but my filter sucks air from the top of the engine. Yours looks like the air inlet is through the engine shrouds. With that type of collection I would also think the engine cooling fins would be clogged.

Pretty dry conditions and it appears you have a mulching kit which tends to put lots of clippings and dust in the air. Probably not a bad idea to clean off that pre-filter after every mowing.

You nailed it here! It wasn't this fast with using the side chute, a lot cleaner. I thought the observation could be useful since I did just convert to mulching. I was a bit surprised how fast it clogs, but good to know right?:)

I usually replace mine once a year. I'll look at mine this weekend, but my filter sucks air from the top of the engine. Yours looks like the air inlet is through the engine shrouds. With that type of collection I would also think the engine cooling fins would be clogged.

I'm glad you pointed out the cooling fins here, these engines need those fins to be clean, oil to be fresh, and plenty of unrestricted airflow. There's no coolant, so more reliance on the above right?

The intake is actually from the front under the air cleaner lid. The fins do stay surprisingly clean, but I check often, for whats in those pictures.:)

This is the air cleaner compartment,

A-3.jpeg

The lid when closed,

A-4.jpeg

I do plan on modifying this, it's on the list. The canister dual stage air intake is much better at getting cool clean air and trapping the fines, similar to what Hummers and Land Rover Defenders have.

Kawasaki does supply a system that requires carb jetting changes, comes stock on their next level motors.

Kawasaki FX .png

I too find replacement at approx a year, if I can keep moisture off of the paper, compressed air will clean them well enough.

I'm curious if anyone else has these dusty conditions?

Depends on the weather conditions. If it's dry and dusty the filter gets checked more often. Better more often the too seldom. Seems like some mower setups need to be checked more often than others.

I maintain a couple Gravely ZTs weekly for a landscape company, the smaller one has the FR730V and it does the same thing... its a bad design... the air intake draws air, and heat, up from below and around the carb where there is alot of grass/dust blowing around. Drawing in hot air causes it to run hot and eventually causes the valve guides to get loose in the head and it will then bend push rods. The larger machine has the dual filter cannister setup that draws cooler air from above the engine, it picks up very little debris and runs cooler.

Back