Coal Miner's Daughter

Man that is sweet. Allis Chalmers did use there farm " Her and Dewe's" for testing of new equipment. Not sure but rumor has it he may have had 1 of the first D-21s.

That is interesting info, Ducky! Those D-21's look like a real tough tractor!

Boy, that is a cool pic. Deck on the side has some scuffs, maybe it's really hers!!

Maybe she was doing some mowing with that tractor! She was definitely living the good life by then, but sure wasn't a pampered, spoiled brat like lots of today's "artists"!

The have her on some of the older Grand Ole Opra shows yet. Taped from bck on the 60' - 70's of course.

Wish I could get RFD! I see some videos of her, even recent ones. She released an album two years ago! She's 87 now.

After she got married they moved to my neck of the woods where she first started singing in the local taverns and grange halls. My parents talk about going to see here perform many times.

I remember in the movie they moved up to the northwest right after they were married! I can't remember why, but anywhere to get away from the poverty of "Butcher Holler" was probably the main reason! Seems like the idea to be a professional musician happened after they were in your area.

Always liked her songs! And that tractor is what Alice looked like at one time!

She is a great artist with a great story to go along with it! What you have done with Alice shows how much potential those tractors have! Do you know around what year Alice is? I'm guessing that pic of Loretta to be 1972 - 1975.

Thanks for the comments!

DAC

That is interesting info, Ducky! Those D-21's look like a real tough tractor!

Maybe she was doing some mowing with that tractor! She was definitely living the good life by then, but sure wasn't a pampered, spoiled brat like lots of today's "artists"!

Wish I could get RFD! I see some videos of her, even recent ones. She released an album two years ago! She's 87 now.

I remember in the movie they moved up to the northwest right after they were married! I can't remember why, but anywhere to get away from the poverty of "Butcher Holler" was probably the main reason! Seems like the idea to be a professional musician happened after they were in your area.

She is a great artist with a great story to go along with it! What you have done with Alice shows how much potential those tractors have! Do you know around what year Alice is? I'm guessing that pic of Loretta to be 1972 - 1975.

Thanks for the comments!

DAC
Looking at the tractor I think that model came out in 1978. The lights were different on the 1975 model.

Twice a year they hold a big dirt bike and ATV race on Loretta Lynn's ranch. A guy I work with used to race and said he met her several times there.

Growing up in a coal camp in wv had to of been a tough childhood. Rural wv in those days was a pretty rough place.
Butcher Hollar is close to Paintsville, KY, which is in middle eastern KY. I was born a county or so away from there.

I always thought she was from wv. Haha. I guess butcher hollow is darn close to wv.

Butcher HOLLER----LOL! It had to be a pretty tough existence.

My Mom grew up in the 1920's and 1930's in a small gold mining town that had pretty much vertical canyon walls where they built houses that would have one story on the uphill side and 2 or 3 stories on the downhill side. 3 stamp mills pounded ore 24 hours a day. Got no clue how anyone could sleep! After Loretta's movie I started calling her the "gold miner's daughter". Her dad died in 1946 from silicosis (black lung) in his mid 50's. That gulch had a nickname of a "holler" also. After the mills closed for WWII, people would holler across the gulch as no one could yet afford phones. People were still hollering in the 1960's!

DAC

When I bake a pie
For the apple of my eye
I bake it with a crust
I know I can trust

Tastes so good you can
Smell it from the yard
Tell you what my secret is
My secret is my lard

Last edited:
Back