Cold Start on OH160

Starts pretty easy. I think the people that have issues do not have valve set correctly or a weak FP.
I spin mine with choke open, then close it after a couple revs. I think each motor is a little different.

I have a B&S L head that wants full choke to cold start as well as hot start. Hot start, full choke for the start of it turning over, then no choke. Will be running before a 2ndl revolution. The 7 hp Kohler wants 3/4 choke for the first pull and if it isn't running, no choke on the next pull. Like Tahoe said - every engine is different.

Listening to the OH160 spin over and start it sounded just like the couple I have, I don't use my ST 16 in the winter anymore it gets to hibernate now that I use the PK's and the GT5000 and they all sit in a warm shop

Don't know if I ever seen one start that easy @32'. My HH100's got to turn 4/5 times just to get gas up with full choke.

You got it tuned just right , Always get a kick out of the ones who blame these engines for hard starting but its their own lack of knowledge that makes them run so poorly.
Running the winter oil will also help significantly in the cold
usually 2-4 seconds of cranking my cast tecumsehs will fire up

I've never owned an OHV TEC, but the L heads I've owned usually fired easily if maintained properly. With Onan, you full choked for half a second while cranking then no choke and almost always fire right off, but a fraction too long on choke and they tend to flood.

I've never owned an OHV TEC, but the L heads I've owned usually fired easily if maintained properly. With Onan, you full choked for half a second while cranking then no choke and almost always fire right off, but a fraction too long on choke and they tend to flood.

The OHV have a lot more compression and the release doesn't do as much as it should, IMHO
It that procedure doesn't work, you have to go with starts at idle and slowly bring it up. A little to fast añd it stops the starter cold.

Last edited:
That;s darn good I have several honda and they don't start like that its been my experience tha Hondas don't like starting in the cold one thing you need some lube on the garage door :p:D the squeal made take notice

Today it warmed up to the mid 20's here in Mn after a couple of very cold -20+ days so I thought I'd try the PK with a 14hp Kohler it was 28*F in the cold area of my building it did not start like MH81's Tec OH160 or floater's Honda but it did start I do have 10W-30 full Synthetic oil in it let it warm up so next week I will start it and get it up front in the shop and install the Case snowcaster on it

Back