Control cable repair

Bill56

Tractorologist
Anyone repair their own control cables? I had one seize up on my push mower. Even though it was plastic coated it had rusted tight in one spot and the cable inside frayed beyond use. I didn't have time to try and repair it so I ordered a whole new cable. $14 and some change seemed like a lot for what it is. This is technically called a brake cable, for this application, and only has to pull against a spring loaded lever. I thought about trying to use a wire, in place of the cable, but wasn't sure if that would work.

I have repaired them when I dont fee like running 15 miles to TSC....Lots of PT Blaster and some patience

Last edited:
Check this thing out.

Cable luber tool

I have one similar to the one linked I used on old brake cables for minibikes and go carts. It's not really refurbing them, but usually a lot of oil, blaster, wd40, or something will free them up with some patience. Also works nice to give them a shot of lube to prevent them from rusting up(although I never have done that!)

Anyone repair their own control cables? I thought about trying to use a wire, in place of the cable, but wasn't sure if that would work.

You pretty much have to replace the whole thing. If the wire rusted, so did the casing.
I have made new ones. At Harbor Freight and most box stores, you can get these cheap $7 sewer augers and use those for the outer casing. It gives you enough for several cables. Then for the inner wire go to your hardware store and get a roll of stainless steel wire of the appropriate thickness. The most trouble I have had is with the applications that have fancy ends on them, like for example; the engine clutch handle on walk behind mowers.

I had tried last year to refurbish a cable. Just to say I could. What a frustrating mess that got thrown in the corner.
I was kind of guessing that would be my results too... Therefore my decision to go with ordering a new one.

You pretty much have to replace the whole thing. If the wire rusted, so did the casing.
I have made new ones. At Harbor Freight and most box stores, you can get these cheap $7 sewer augers and use those for the outer casing. It gives you enough for several cables. Then for the inner wire go to your hardware store and get a roll of stainless steel wire of the appropriate thickness. The most trouble I have had is with the applications that have fancy ends on them, like for example; the engine clutch handle on walk behind mowers.
That was the weird part about this one. When I couldn't get the cable to move I cut the plastic off the casing so I could use Blaster on it. The casing looked like new from the outside. I soaked it for two days, then moved and rotated it in every direction. Spent about an hour playing with it with no results. Even clamped the cable in a vice and tried to pry against the casing with a claw hammer but it wouldn't budge a bit. Finally gave up and put a hard bend in the casing in one spot. The cable was rusted entirely and some of the strands broke. This casing seemed to be sealed well with a plastic fitting on both ends. Not sure how or why it rusted so bad.

Had to replace a neighbor's engagement cable because it rusted apart. He parks it outside year round. I gave him a piece of roofing tin to keep it covered through the winter months to maybe prevent it happening again.
Mike

Was moisture able to get in the end and run down to the low spot?
That's a possibility. I had it stored out side, but under a cover. It was inside all winter and spring. Found a huge mouse nest in a cabinet that was next to where the mower was parked... mouse pee?

Just a thought; (I'm not used to that)old tractors didn't have control cables. They had control rods.
Yes, I was thinking about that too. Also the snow blower at work uses open cables running through pulleys. I'm guessing that's to eliminate the freezing problem that a sheathed cable might have. I'd thought about rigging something like that, for this mower, but didn't have the time to tinker with it now. We have a broadcast spreader, at work, that we use to spreader salt. The adjuster cable rusted tight so I rigged up some rods and wooden levers to "get by." Been using it, that way, for six years!

I rigged up a chute angle adjuster on my poulan snowblower using a locking throttle cable. I covered the open spring type housing with rubber fuel hose and made where the wire comes out as watertight as possible. I also soaked the housing good with oil before putting the fuel hose over it. Working good after 2 years.
Mike

Back