Cub Cadet Loader for my Massey 1655?

jason silliker

Jason Emerald P.E.I. Canada
I’ve been debating on building a loader for my 1655 for a long time and/or buying a new sub compact. This Cub Cadet 610??? loader is currently mounted on a 455 John Deere. He's asking $2500 CAD. Might be able to get him down some. (same guy I bought the blower off of couple years ago, and didn’t finish yet lol.) It would end up being the same set up as Larry's 1655. Only difference would be I'd mount the pump off of the front PTO as I already bought the pump. Debating if it’s worth two grand or not. I’m not worried about hoses if any or bad, as I can replace them relatively cheap.

Attachments

• IMG_8530.png
    IMG_8530.png
    633.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8531.png
    IMG_8531.png
    530.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I’ve been debating on building a loader for my 1655 for a long time and/or buying a new sub compact. This Cub Cadet 610??? loader is currently mounted on a 455 John Deere. He's asking $2500 CAD. Might be able to get him down some. (same guy I bought the blower off of couple years ago, and didn’t finish yet lol.) It would end up being the same set up as Larry's 1655. Only difference would be I'd mount the pump off of the front PTO as I already bought the pump. Debating if it’s worth two grand or not. I’m not worried about hoses if any or bad, as I can replace them relatively cheap.
Just the loader for sale, or the whole tractor Jason? Couldn't really figure it out for sure. If it's with the tractor, probably good deal, without the tractor might be a bit high, but still probably couldn't build one like it for that.

I guy I know got some kind of complete cub with loader for free (I hate him)---LOL! He put the loader on his MF1650 after completely rebuilding everything on the loader. We have traded a few parts here and there.

imagejpeg_0 (1).jpg

imagejpeg_0 (2).jpg

imagejpeg_0.jpg

DAC

Yeah just the loader Doug but it is larger and heavier than that one.
Probably about the right size for a 1650, according to the owner, but your 1655 can probably handle the bigger loader just fine. He said 300# gets to be a bit much for it but still will do it if he is careful and weighted up for it.

Just buy it so we can follow your build, Jason!

DAC

Probably about the right size for a 1650, according to the owner, but your 1655 can probably handle the bigger loader just fine. He said 300# gets to be a bit much for it but still will do it if he is careful and weighted up for it.

Just buy it so we can follow your build, Jason!

DAC
I like your way of thinking Doug, But your costing me money lol. Another thing with this style is, I’d have to build my own reservoir tank, most loaders like the ones in the picture you posted, the uprights are the tank. Not a big deal though

This is from someone who has installed several loaders on garden tractors. Don't use the loader frame for a reservoir if you can help it. You'll regret it the first time you have to weld on it. A clean piece of 6 to 8 inch pipe makes a nice one with very little work. Make sure to have a filter of some kind between the reservoir and the pump. You won't believe the crud that shows up in a Hydraulic system. Change the filter the first time after 5 hours to prevent starving the pump.
Good luck with your project.

This is from someone who has installed several loaders on garden tractors. Don't use the loader frame for a reservoir if you can help it. You'll regret it the first time you have to weld on it. A clean piece of 6 to 8 inch pipe makes a nice one with very little work. Make sure to have a filter of some kind between the reservoir and the pump. You won't believe the crud that shows up in a Hydraulic system. Change the filter the first time after 5 hours to prevent starving the pump.
Good luck with your project.
Thanks Chris.

That’s the thing Bill, not to sound vain, but I’m at the point in my life where the money is there and I’m kicking myself that I didn’t go by the Kubota before he decided to keep it. Yes it was bigger than I needed it but what the hell. on the other side, Doug, I love, absolutely love building and fabricating. I already have 2 x 3 tubing to go from the rear axle to the loader posts and 4 x 6 tubing for the actual loader posts/tank and bracing etc, if I decide to go that way, very similar to the one that Doug posted. I’d just need the 2x4 tubing for the arms. I even have an extra set of Massey valves to do a retro style or go with a two in one valve. If I could get this one for about 1500 bucks or so, it wouldn’t be bad. on the other hand like Bill says new compacts are pretty affordable. Do I really need a new one? No. Ideally, I’d love to find a John Deere 755-955 in my area that I could totally strip down and restore but they are like hen’s teeth.On the other hand, I have two of the 1655s and I love the Massey design of that era and like I said before if I could find an 1855 from 1977 the same year I was born I’d be over the moon unfortunately there are a few and far between. Any more than $1500 for the loader I don’t see it worthwhile as I can buy brand new cylinders at Princess Auto and I have a buddy with a hydraulic shop 3 km away from me who will do hoses at cost. The funny thing about this style of loader is it’ll lift more than a subcompact because the hydraulics run off of a separate pump. As Daniel can attest with the one that he had built, the tractor becomes the week point.
I would like to do a subcompact and get rid of the John Deere LA 165 with a custom cab but I would still keep one of the 1655s just because I like them unfortunately they’re 2000 RPM rear PTO is pretty redundant and as far as a loader, it’s one of those things….Yeah you’ll use it the more you have it. The only reason, I haven’t invested a couple of grand into building one is because, would I truly be happy with it later. That was only part of the reason, I was pretty busy with the machinist course. I finished block three I have one block left, but I probably won’t attend this fall because you need your fully 8000 hours to write your red seal and I have not been getting the hours.
At the same time if not since I paid $600 for the 1655 and let’s say even at max 2500 for a loader at three grand or 3100. I have no problem selling it, maybe lol. A part of me wants to do it just to do it use it for puttering around and probably put it in a few local parades. Most of us know that sometimes this.” hobby” Is exactly what it is a hobby.
it’s funny because I always remember Bob “Tudor” (well-known member on some other sites) saying how he would always prefer his 1655s over his G1725 If it was up and running lol. Hmmmm what to do cmon guys lol???

Last edited:
You're young....build one! I had a great time building mine even though I finally ended up selling it to Josh as I had the money to buy a BX25D. I'd still have my Massey with loader otherwise. Another draw to the Kubota was getting the backhoe, as with my neck injury digging with shovel was no longer a viable option.

You're young....build one! I had a great time building mine even though I finally ended up selling it to Josh as I had the money to buy a BX25D. I'd still have my Massey with loader otherwise. Another draw to the Kubota was getting the backhoe, as with my neck injury digging with shovel was no longer a viable option.
AS silly as it sounds, I'll probably end up with both lol.
You will hate me then, I've had this one in storage since 2012, plan was a loader for it. Life has just gotten in the way, some day.....it's a '77 too.

View attachment 85329
View attachment 85330
Hate you? Noooo...BTW can you feel a stabbing pain in your back?? How about now (insert Voodoo doll lol) Send it to me, I'll restore it!

AS silly as it sounds, I'll probably end up with both lol.

Hate you? Noooo...BTW can you feel a stabbing pain in your back?? How about now (insert Voodoo doll lol) Send it to me, I'll restore it!
Well Jason you heard Daniel in the above post...
He loved his garden tractor with loader so much that he went and bought a BX25.
Really Jason I'm just messing with you and I'm sure building a loader is not more than a challenge for you. But in reality you'll have a cool conversation piece that will do what you made it to do. But will it do it better than something newer like Daniel has..? Or any newer brand for that matter.
Be easy on me guys just stating a different perspective.

No, I agree 100% Bill. it would still just be an oversized garden tractor with a loader, no worries here, hence the hesitation of putting the time into it. Don’t get me wrong with the proper tires and a re-welded front axle. I have no doubt that this could handle 500 to 750 pounds easily, but for sure cautiously !!! But realistically, if I had the chance to buy that B2360 again, I wouldn’t hesitate knowing what I know now. At the same time the little 1655 ALMOST does everything I want lol.

My BX is more capable, but the only reason I didn't buy it instead of building my Massey w/loader was simply because at the time I could not afford one. Even after buying the BX I held onto the Massey quite some time before deciding to sell. When it was clear that Josh really wanted it AND had a great need for it, only then was I willing to part with it. I still miss her! If you build one Jason, you will want to keep it even if you buy a factory tractor w/loader!

Back