Dad's Sears LTS 1500

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
My Dad passed away a little over a year ago then my Mom recently. I finally was able mentally to start getting some of my Dad's things. I picked his tractor up yesterday about an 8 hour round trip. He bought this new & loved it. He had a little less than an acre to cut. This was his first tractor & was a lot for him. He pushed a rotary mower the whole time I was at home then graduated to a push mower a few years after I left home.

It's a 17.5 hp briggs,, 42" deck, with a 6 speed manual tranny. I have to say I was impressed today using it. I've never owned a lawn tractor just the old GT's. I felt like I got off of a tank then got on a little sports car. This little guy did everything, cut fantastic, deck floated perfect, steers like it had power steering, runs smooth & quiet. Now I know why a lot of you have went to the newer tractors to cut with especially since most decks on these old gems are in such bad shape. I'm going to clean it up & go through it but not expecting to have to do much since my Dad always took care of his stuff.

20191103_160117_resized_1.jpg20191103_160128_resized_1.jpg20191103_160207_resized_1.jpg
20191103_160327_resized_1.jpg

My Dad passed away a little over a year ago then my Mom recently. I finally was able mentally to start getting some of my Dad's things. I picked his tractor up yesterday about an 8 hour round trip. He bought this new & loved it. He had a little less than an acre to cut. This was his first tractor & was a lot for him. He pushed a rotary mower the whole time I was at home then graduated to a push mower a few years after I left home.

It's a 17.5 hp briggs,, 42" deck, with a 6 speed manual tranny. I have to say I was impressed today using it. I've never owned a lawn tractor just the old GT's. I felt like I got off of a tank then got on a little sports car. This little guy did everything, cut fantastic, deck floated perfect, steers like it had power steering, runs smooth & quiet. Now I know why a lot of you have went to the newer tractors to cut with especially since most decks on these old gems are in such bad shape. I'm going to clean it up & go through it but not expecting to have to do much since my Dad always took care of his stuff.

View attachment 19566

I'm sorry to hear you have had such loss, it's never easy.

I still have a set of well built drill bits my Father was proud of and I used them to Restore my GT. Good memories.

I think it's great you have such good memories and it looks like your Dad took very good care of that mower. That mower was sold under many different brands, there are many, but it's few that survive that well.

My first rider was that model but sold under the Ariens name. The manual Peerless transaxle was unstoppable, I changed seals on it and with both halves open saw little to no wear on the internals, and that's with frequent use of the yard cart.

Mine just recently quit beyond reasonable repair, but I kept that transaxle! 2011-2019, 8 years, teenage boys and such on a very inexpensive mower, I was impressed with it too. I like my GT, but compared to my GT, it was the sports car of mowers.

If you have kids, it's a great way to teach shifting a manual transmission, and create some new memories for your family.

:)

Back