Dirty carb again

chieffan

Tractorologist
When my son had this Sears 24" snow blower it was "stored" like where he used it last. Carb and gas tank was a mess. Got it cleaned up and ran good last year. Started and ran it a bit about 2 month ago and was good to go. Yesterday morning decided to bring it up to the garage in case we did get snow out of this storm headed our way. Would only run with the choke 2/3 on. Went to pull the carb off again this morning and forgot what all I had to go through to get the carb off. The bracket that hold the carb wraps clear around the front of the engine. Electric start button has to be removed to get that side strip loose, two screws around the recoil start and 4 bolt around the carb area. To work on one side have to start removing pieces off the opposite side. Almost like a "Better Idea" from Ford. Carb is in the parts washer with fluid running through it now. Will go out after dinner and finish up the job. Evidentially I didn't get all the crud out of the gas tank the last time as there was a bit in the bottom of the carb.

If you'll use ethanol free gas and or SeaFoam in the gas you'll not have any issues with the carb or gas tanks getting nasty.
Gas tank and carb were nasty when I got it. Ridge around the inside of a fill opening that prevents all the crud from running out when trying to clean it. I run Sta-Bil in all my gas and ever once in a while shot of seaFoam. Out of all the chain saws, line trimmrs, mowers & Gt's this is the oly one I have had repeat problems with. Thius one has a in line filter now. Back together but not right yet. Will run smooth for a bit then surges. 1/2 choke and runs good a full throttle. High speed passage has speck of ?? in it. Will get a new carb when it gets here. Everything gets ethanol gas around here.

Best thing to have for cleaning those fixed main jets is a tip cleaner set made for drilling out torch tips. It has some really small drill bits in it.

Back