disc hiller quick make

holdenboy1960 (Shane )

Tractorologist
been watching videos on disc hiller implements and have been interested in these for some time now , So i set to knock a set up temporary to try ,but i was surprised on how well they work for a light unit the soil moved easier than i thought . IMG_20190605_233011.jpg IMG_20190605_233025.jpg i cheated by welding 2 heavy pipe sections onto my cultivator tines which had lock bolts fitted to lock the down shaft adjustment sections, can set depth and angle of the discs then tighten the bolts.

the 1" down shafts are spring steel from ,fitness body build lift bell bar , the bearing hubs and axles for the discs are trolley wheel hubs cut off and trolley axle, the discs are lawn hand mower cutter discs, these are a small diameter set to test with just had to cut the blade bolts off
IMG_20190606_105907.jpg here is the unit while not using the hillers , all i have to do is unpin and remove the receiver hitch and roll the unit over and adjusting the hillers height to use the cultivators , makes it 2 units in one and the discs can be removed if needed
IMG_20190606_103834.jpg being vertical never hilled as good as IMG_20190606_103704.jpg this setting and this setting was less work for the tractor to , but my main problem was heaps of big stones under the soil still .
IMG_20190606_101331.jpg IMG_20190606_103607.jpg just a couple quick rough runs , but i'm thinking my tractors dont travel quick enough maybe .

i have already removed over 1/2 a J D 15 trailer of stones out so far and that's only a 1/4 approx of the section of garden , some stones were roughly 12" x 10" x 4 " in size ,
but for how the hillers worked i might just tidy them up some and keep them and make a bigger set in case needed ,it takes about a hour to make them with the bit's ready to assemble (weld)

Shane

i do have off set plow discs but i'm keeping them for a maybe special job one day , i got the idea of the under mower discs when i was stripping mowers awhile back , got to thinking they do a lot of work and never wear out so might be ok for this application ,

thanks for the word as i thought they might be a bit flimsy , weak but they held up good , i don't get to see any small attachments like that to see what grade of stuff they are made of ,so i just look on youtube and guess from there lol

Back