DIY 3PT Disc Hiller for SCUT or CUT

BMaverick

YANMAR GURU EXTRAORDINAIRE
For the past two years, I've been out in the garden (field) with composting, disc'ing and tilling with machines. That's the easy work. When it comes to planting long rows of corn, beans, turnips, potatoes, etc, the whole family comes out with hoes. rakes and shovels. It becomes a long afternoon.

However in my arsenal I desperately need a hiller. What's a hiller for those who are new to this, it's a row mound maker. You place down your seed or bulb in spacing, then drive the SCUT or CUT in a steady low gear straddling the row betwixt the wheels. The hiller does all that hoeing, raking and shoveling in seconds. :)
hilling-with-compact.jpg

And when the plants are grown too.

garden-hiller.jpg

Heavy Hitch makes this simple product.

Garden-bedder.jpg

A DIYer has made this for a simple 3PT 8N.

2veawl7.jpeg

I already have the sq bar. It's the perfect length as my drawbar to slide inside and mount onto. I'll need to buy the coned like discs, a few brackets and U-bolts.

Now here is where I lack a bit. What size disc to acquire. The bigger discs will obviously make a bigger hill row. Ideal for potatoes. Yet, can I get away with making small hills with the bigger discs by raising the 3PT some? Or would I need another set of smaller discs to do the smaller hilled rows?

That SCUT is doing a great job hilling!
1649000253318.png

Your feedback is much needed from your experiences please. :)

I built my tool bar and purchased the hiller discs. From my experience I'd say go with the bigger discs.
And just for your information a hiller works great for weed control in sweetcorn. No more weeding between the plants.
I'll try and remember to measure mine tomorrow.

So, after much to-do today of being on FIRE PATROL, much of my seat time on the Yanmar was parked watching and thinking. It dawned on me how hill high is obtained. The closer the hiller discs are and at an angle the taller the hills become. The farther apart the discs are the lower the hills are. The process reminded me of an adjustable plastic extrusion die. Except this is all with dirt. ;)

I really wanted a Yanmar 3PT PTO tiller that comes with the hiller discs that are extended out the back of the tiller. I typically turn up goose eggs in a 200 mile radius search looking for one. RS1702 or a RS1601.

1649034618782.png

So, I hope the DIY work will pay off, else my back will ache for a week once again. :rolleyes:

There's one more equation your missing out on and that's speed. Speed plays a large roll in setting up your hiller. Every year I have to check and find out what speed I need to run. You'd think I'd write it down but oh no I have to figure it out. :(

Here’s my hiller.

Noel

Attachments

• 47917512-12CF-4962-97EC-F3CE113FE1C5.jpeg
    47917512-12CF-4962-97EC-F3CE113FE1C5.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 1626629E-B3B7-461F-A7FC-78A47A7CEA22.jpeg
    1626629E-B3B7-461F-A7FC-78A47A7CEA22.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 7
  • E9A6BA34-4D6D-4B13-BA61-B711684773AA.jpeg
    E9A6BA34-4D6D-4B13-BA61-B711684773AA.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 7