Don't think I am cut out to do touring car shows.

alleyyooper

Tractorologist
Don't think I am cut out to do touring car shows. It is the 12th anual US 27 classic car auto tour. Started out in WaterLoo Indaina then making stops in towns along the way for a couple hours of car show. You can join in at any location and leave when you wish to if you can't take all the days off for it.

We decided to join in for just Thursday the 23d to see what it was like. Can't do more than the day because we have critters at home that need to be fed and we don't want to impose on people to do it for us.

We arrived at St. Johns Michigan lineing up 4 wide down Main Street. We were in the front part of the 4th row.

Main street St. Johns runs North and South started filling up quick as stragglers from the over night stop in Dewitt and those who were getting fuel arrived. At 10:00 AM on the dot a Sheriff deputy leat the first row off starting with the west row. Led us down a city street to Old US 27 other deputys had traffic stopped at inter sectons where there were stop signs or traffic lites. At this point US 27 is a 4 lane divided hyway all the way to Ithaca with a speed limit of 65MPH. We were told at each stop before heading to the next location we would be doing The legal posted speed limit.

As a young fellow in the late 1960's and all thru the 1970's and being single My brother and I would get out of work on a Friday evening jump in are packed truck Jeep or Bronco and drive north a normal week end 3 hour drive. But a holiday week end the Nut jobs were on the road so that 3 hour drive many times turned into a i4 to 5 hour drive. It is madding to be cruiseing right along on a express way and come to a total and complete halt. well that is how the tour cruise was. Back when brother and I bought a state book of counties road maps. We soon worked out a route to avoid that mess on the free way and traveled back road Michigan to turn the 3 hour drive back into just that.

We met people who live just 4 miles from us who have a pontiac station wagon we didn't know about nor met at any local shows.

:D Al

Back