DuroMax engines

4getgto

Bill from Northampton County, Pennsylvania
Anyone have any experience with these motors?
Looking at a 16 hp for a lot splitter. Good, bad, fair??
They are reasonable in price.

Have had a couple, on GT's and one on a wood spliter. Only thing I noticed on the wood spliter it would not hang in there and really pull like the old cast iron Briggs would. When it got into a real tough chunk with a crotch and had to work to get through it. Briggs is a 10HP and the clone was 12 HP. Got the Briggs fixed and put it back on the spliter again.

Thanks for all the replys guys.
Going to be ordering the 16 hp DuroMax this coming week. I'll keep you updated when I get it and let you how it works out.
A shame about the old Briggs. Starts on 2nd pull but smokes bad and bad knock.

Some pictures below to show what I'm up to...

IMG_20180728_172230.jpgIMG_20180728_172250.jpg

Cvans, what make and model of chipper did you put the HF one on?
Mike
You would ask me that. This spring it went home with the Son in-law so it's in Minnesota. It was yellow and originally 3.5 hp which was pretty pathetic. Just did a search and can't find a picture of one like it. It was probably 30 years old. Sent him a text so hopefully I'll get the name in the next couple of days.

Reason I ask is I have a 5 HP MTD with a Briggs that's getting tired that's only used as a fan for a leaf vac. I've considered the 6.5 HF but the crankshaft is smaller and am afraid If I sleeve it it might break off. I guess I'll have to spend the $$ to find out.
Mike

I don't remember having to bush anything to make this work. Probably been 10 years ago tho. I do remember that it was belt drive because when you engaged the clutch pulley it took a while for it to come up to speed. Flywheel must have been pretty heavy.

Mine was a Baker wood chipper. Like this one but originally 3.5 hp.
58943196_614.jpg

A little up date . I ordered this motor from a place called Factory Authorized Outlet out of California somewhere. Ordered Monday and got it today ( Thursday). Pretty quick I think. Some pictures below to show the difference between the old Briggs (11hp) and the new one. Frame size was bigger and plus electric start made it that I had to add extensions on the existing motor mount.

either way I got it and should will work just fine. Didn't fire it up yet but hopefully in the next day or two....Still have to make a battery box up too.

IMG_20180802_184332.jpg

IMG_20180802_184343.jpgIMG_20180802_185447.jpg

Got a little more done.
Added a guard to protect side of motor by the key switch, starter and wiring and gas tank. Concern being logs dropping off of side and hitting something.
Also got a battery box made.

Also ran it for the first time...Sounds very nice...almost like a Honda believe or not. Owner said it's a lot quieter than before.

IMG_20180805_124048.jpg

IMG_20180805_124110.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180805_124057.jpg
    IMG_20180805_124057.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 6
Back