Engine oils

bobcat2

Tractorologist
Hello all,

I thought maybe someone can answer a few questions and maybe clear up some things I don't quite understand.

I know in modern smaller engines, a standard 10w-30 or 10w-40 is used depending on temperature, but we have filters and all kinds of sensors on newer stuff, but what about the older engines?

My understanding (could be wrong) is that older engines called for a non-detergent oil because of the lack of filtration, the dirt would stick to the crankcase walls and bottom and eventually create a sludge, this was better than having the dirt "roam" freely with the cleaner oil. It was also used because smaller engines usually aren't used everyday, and the non-detergent oil would stick better to exposed parts.

Like I said, I could be misinformed, and thought someone could educate me a little better, and perhaps share what you use in your older engines. I pretty much use Castrol 30w HD in all of my small engines.

Thanks,
bobcat2

I've always heard the same.

But I use pretty much whatever is around. Dads cub 128 went thousands of hours before it started smoking. It got 5w30 sae30 10w30 15w40 in it over the years. I always feel clean new oil is better than old oil.

One thing you don't want to do is start running detergent oil in an engine that's had non detergent run in it all it's life. Severe engine damage is possible. It's almost a guarantee it'll become an oil burner.
Mike

I put 10w-30 in every thing I have. And some times add a little transmission fluid to the oil and gas help clean and reduce carbon build up.

10w-30 is easy to get any where and some times on sale.

Saves trying to remember what to put in what and when.

Noel

That's pretty much what I figured, I buy a gallon of the 30w HD and use it in everything.
I use the same and change oil frequently for the few hours they see. Not having a oil filter clean oil is the best we can do

Started using traveler 30w diesel oil in everything but the truck, buy it by the 5gal pail or 2.5gal jug which ever is cheaper at the time(use it in farm tractors as well).

I use 15w40 in almost everything I own except my Mercury Mountaineer. It is 5w30 synthetic. Stuff I work on for others get manufacturer's recommendations. That reminds me I need to pick up a case of 30wt.

vehicles all get 10w40 year round, sometimes mowers do too/ when I'm out of 30 wt.
I have no OHC cars/trucks. all old school pushrod engines (with lots and lots of miles already)

Most of my garden tractors Are mainly used in the summer and get SAE 30. Sometimes, they will get 10W-30 especially if I know they’re going to be used in cooler weather

30W is getting hard to come by around here... Northland, my favorite brand went to 30 gal. drums only several years ago. 15-40 Diesel in 5 gal pails by Valvoline is always available at the Farm & Home store I get a lot of my supplies from.

This engine can use most oils. This is why I just use 10w-30. Long as it’s lubed and you check the oil often, what harm can it do.

Noel

Attachments

• D66CC37F-2399-404B-A6D7-E6E3552C5D8E.jpeg
    D66CC37F-2399-404B-A6D7-E6E3552C5D8E.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 4
  • BECE277A-5AC3-4FD7-A560-ABE2841BD2A6.jpeg
    BECE277A-5AC3-4FD7-A560-ABE2841BD2A6.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 4
Mobil 1 5W20 synthetic in my F150 and wife's SUV
Redline 15W40 syn in Harley
Amsoil 10W30 syn (acts like SAE 30) in garden tractor
Volvo 10W30 syn in boat engine (4.3L GM Vortec block)
Valvoline SAE0W conventional in snow blower
Valvoline SAE30 conventional in pressure washer, tillers etc

Mobil 1 5W20 synthetic in my F150 and wife's SUV
Redline 15W40 syn in Harley
Amsoil 10W30 syn (acts like SAE 30) in garden tractor
Volvo 10W30 syn in boat engine (4.3L GM Vortec block)
Valvoline SAE0W conventional in snow blower
Valvoline SAE30 conventional in pressure washer, tillers etc

WHY ? ? ?

Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w30 in my wrx.
Mobil 1 conventional 5w30 in my wifes van
John deere tuff guard 10w30 in my x570
Whatever 5w30 is on sale in my 99 Ford ranger and other tractors.

Back