Entering another new area, for me, on my MH Pony

thom

Tractorologist
One of the next things I plan to do on my "new" Pony is to clean, inspect, and repack the front wheel bearings. I have been cleaning and repacking bearings for 45+ years but I'm not sure about the type seals used on this application. I don't have a manual for the Pony yet and the manuals that I have been able to find online don't seem to cover the front wheel bearing and seal service and/or replacement. It appears that the OE seals were just a felt ring, with flat metal washer-like retainers? Will there be a retainer on both sides of the felt ring? Are the washers the same OD as the felt and just a little smaller in ID? Does one usually replace the felt and reuse the metal washers/retainers? I believe the front crankshaft seal on my Model T Ford was that way, but it's been a while since I worked on it, so memory is not clear. Can someone direct me to a page in a manual that I have not been able to find, perhaps? Thanks.

Do you have this free service manual?
http://vieux.tracteurs.free.fr/pdf/massey_harris_pony11_manuel.pdf

It has been 20 years since I did mine both the Pony & Pacer. Seems like I carefully removed thr efelt washers and cleaned them and reused them. After all all they do is keep stringy wheel bearing grease in place and a bit clean.

Might be a problem if you plan on mud bogging it.

:D Al

Yeah, I've seen that manual and it shows the felt seal but there is no mention of any service procedures that I can see. I will take it apart and see what happens. Thanks.

I checked mine out. All was well. There was plenty of grease. All I needed to do was tighten the nuts another notch and replace the bent nails with cotter pins.
Bent Nails ROFL.

Thats called recycling.

When you pull a nail, it's bent. Where better to use one than a tractor?

I guess straight ones are for wood, bent ones are for metal

Back