Eshelman in NY

one of the tractors I still kick myself not buying when I had the chance had the hood, those things weigh a gazillion pounds

They are few and far between there was one recently for sale in Canada the deluxe one with the hood very nice and all there

The one above could possibly had a hood at one time, it looks like a tab for the hood to attach to under the steering wheel. Ours has a piece of flat stock bent into an angle that bolts to the steering column that the hood bolts too. Some may have possibly had the tab cast into the column, I don't know for sure.

I would say this probably should have had the hood. Hard to see but the steering wheel was different on the deluxe. they had the half round cast aluminum wheel vs the full round with 3 steel spokes and bakelite rim. This looks to have the deluxe wheel.

I bought this tractor and hope to get it going. I have already put new tires on it and fixed the steering. Hope to find a model 23 Briggs engine for it as I guess that's what it originally had. For now I am trying to put a 7hp Briggs on it and trying to figure out the drive system. If anyone out there has one of these and could help it would be appreciated. Thanks from a new member.

I bought this tractor and hope to get it going. I have already put new tires on it and fixed the steering. Hope to find a model 23 Briggs engine for it as I guess that's what it originally had. For now I am trying to put a 7hp Briggs on it and trying to figure out the drive system. If anyone out there has one of these and could help it would be appreciated. Thanks from a new member.
Welcome Kevin! I don't know much about your tractor other than you don't see many.

It is driven by roller chain from the engine to the big sprocket that is between the pulleys on the gear box. From the pictures that were posted it looks like it is a 1954. My 1954 is setup differently than these pictures. Our 1956 looks more like the pictures that were posted. The chain runs over a sprocket on a jackshaft that drives a pulley for reverse. A belt runs from this pulley to one of the bigger pulleys. Is this one set up for cable steering?

Someone said that the steering wheels were aluminum, ours is cast iron. the grill casting, and insert on our deluxe is cast iron also.

The chain is #40. The sprocket for the engine is a 12 tooth, with a 1" bore. I don't remember how many teeth are on the big sprocket. I think the reverse sprocket is a 16 tooth.

You're welcome. Hope it helps some.
Still have the Eshelman and got it moving under it's own power last summer. It is a crude machine but so rare and that's what I like about it. Got to take it to one show and had fun. Still looking for a Briggs model 23 engine for it so if anyone has one in the Rochester N.Y. or surrounding area please let me know.

Back