Exhaust stud threaded hole leaking coolant

Twostep

Ok, so this isn't exactly GT related but could be maybe. Anyway I want this info out there because I couldn't find any solutions when I googled the problem.

Back story: So I am refurbishing a '59 Massey 65. I went an looked at the tractor, it started great and ran like a top. Checked the oil and it was milky. No oil in the coolant, no steam from the exhaust. I figured it was a head gasket. Pulled the head off and it looked fine. The gasket was in pretty rough shape. I went ahead and picked up a whole top end gasket set. During reassembly I noticed that the exhaust manifold studs (which go through to the water jacket) were in bad shape. I pulled them out and sure enough one of them had been drilled & tapped from a 5/16 fine to a 3/8 fine. Evidently the tap that the PO used was junk because the threads seemed way to loose. Sure enough I fired it up and it immediately started leak coolant. I tried locktite, still leaked. Pipe thread sealant rated for steam, still leaked.

So I enlisted some old school engine builders and one suggested Permatex 20539 Indian Head Gasket Shellac Compound.

Fast forward to this past weekend: I cleaned the pipe dope off first using a propane torch and brush, then finishing up with acetone and brush. After applying the shellac I let it cure for a day and then pressurized the system. So far no leaks *fingers crossed*.

Anyone else have issues with engine bolts or "screws" that go through to the water jacket?

Attachments

• Side Pic.png
    Side Pic.png
    548.1 KB · Views: 6
Back