Farmall a noisey transmission

Tcoover

My 47 farmall a is knocking bad in second and third. It only knocks when the clutch is out but when you put pressure on the clutch it stops. Would this be the oiler gear? Also I tried 4th road gear and even at full throttle it would move but wanted to stall. Any opinions anyone?

Sounds more like something the the clutch area, like a throw out bearing, or ?? Those older Farmall's were not meant to start out in road gear. Had to get there from a good rolling start. Had to learn the right sequence of cutting the throttle, out of 3rd and into 4th, or out of 4th and into 5th which ever applied. All about timing.

Sorry it took so long to reply still learning these forums. I dont know much about these I thought you couldn't shift gears while moving. Rather it was bad for the clutch/transmission being non synchronized. I don't need 4th gear/road gear because I dont have the room to run it in that gear. I was just testing it and thought it was odd that it only wanted to stall but I will try your advice next time I have it out.

At least your tractor is a common model. Most any tractor salvage yard should be able to help you locate the parts.

That looks alot like the transmission build going on here.

Minneapolis-Moline Prototype #X231 - Part 37: Transmission Assembly Continues..

Back