Farmall H Died

cjet69

Tractorologist
The Farmall H has been sitting all winter and after charging the battery I got it fired up. Soon after startup it started howling. I figured it was the belt on the alternator which was loose. Then the engine slowed and seemed to labor and then died. I hit the starter again and not even a pop out of it. I pulled the fuel line at the carb and had plenty of fuel flowing. I pulled the coil wire and checked for spark and got nothing. Popped the distributor cap, cleaned the points up, and checked for spark by manually running the points. Lots of spark. Put the cap back on and not a pop. Pulled the coil wire again and checked for spark while cranking the engine with the starter and got nothing. Removed the cap again, manually ran the points and got lots of spark. Now I'm wondering what is going on. With the cap removed I hit the starter and the rotor is not turning. :( I pulled the distributor along with the right-angle drive setup and took it to the shop. I took it apart and found the distributor shaft was all but seized which chewed up both gears on the right-angle drive and distributor shaft. :eek:

After looking around at our spare parts, I found a right-angle drive and distributor on an Allis Chalmers C and an IH 350 distributor that gives us a couple options to get the H back up and running. Need to do some teardown and inspection to see what parts if any are needed.

GOPR2323-m.JPG100_4152-m.JPG100_4158-m.JPG100_4159-m.JPGGOPR2310-m.JPGGOPR2322-m.JPGGOPR2316-m.JPGGOPR2314-m.JPG

Would you be able to pull that flat head screw out and put a grease zirk in it's place? Looks like you have the parts for a fast repair, Cjet!

DAC
Are you talking about the screw in the right-angle drive or in the distributor? The right-angle drive turns easy and still has some oil where the screw is. The distributor appears to have replaced the oil with water causing it to get really tight on the bushing. There was also water in the housing where the 2 gears run.

Pulled the Delco setup from the A/C apart and all appears good so far. Everything had oil where it should be and no water. The housing where the 2 gears run was low on oil and needs some cleaning, but I think its going to work just fine. The inside of the distributor looks like the point and condenser were just installed.

100_4163-m.JPG100_4164-m.JPG100_4169-m.JPG

Pulled the Delco setup from the A/C apart and all appears good so far. Everything had oil where it should be and no water. The housing where the 2 gears run was low on oil and needs some cleaning, but I think its going to work just fine. The inside of the distributor looks like the point and condenser were just installed.

View attachment 51484View attachment 51485View attachment 51486
Yup, I was talking about the screw where you pictured oil in the hole, Cjet.

DAC

Would you be able to pull that flat head screw out and put a grease zirk in it's place? Looks like you have the parts for a fast repair, Cjet!

DAC
I found a Farmall Blue Ribbon service manual that says just what you were saying about putting a zerk in and pumping until it comes out a weep hole on the other side of the distributor. Still unsure on the right-angle drive since it had oil in it and I can't find any info on it.

Back