Fence post question

jabelman

Tractorologist
Well I decided to fence the small orchard in. I planning on using the pressure treated 4/5 round 8' posts from tractor supply. I read a few comments that people are using roof tar or driveway sealer on the first 2 feet (in the ground)
Is it worth using something? I remember what the old timers used but you can't get that anymore.

I have about 25 to dig in. I am not using concrete. The soils pack tight enough here

I pulled 8 pressure treated fence post out 5 years ago that had been in ground 10 years. They were like new. Cresote leaches into the ground.

My friend at the yard was saying how today's pressure treated is not the same anymore as the "old" pressure treated. We still have old decking we stack firewood on that's 25 or more years old

My friend at the yard was saying how today's pressure treated is not the same anymore as the "old" pressure treated. We still have old decking we stack firewood on that's 25 or more years old
Yeah, the old stuff was Chromated Copper Arsenic, it can be absorbed through the skin and enough kills people. The new stuff is Alkaline Copper Quaternary, much less likely to kill you. Also far less likely to do the preserving it is supposed to!

Industry experts expected 60 years plus from CCA posts, and 30 for ACQ.

Use Hedge post and never worry about it again. About all that is used in these parts. If you can handle the crookedness of the post and using wire to hold the fencing to the post as you won't drive a staple in it.

If your using standard treated post, wrap roofing paper around the 2 feet at ground level to help preserve the post.

When I purchased all my wooden posts for our fencing from the local, small farm store, they reckoned that the posts the big-box stores (HomeDepot, TractorSupply, etc.) carry aren't treated well enough.
Proper treatment is 0.40psf for ground contact, although 0.60psf is better for wet locations.
CCA is still available apparently, although all our posts are ACQ.

Fill a barrel up with a 50/50 mix of old oil and diesel fuel the height you want treated. Let them soak over night. If anything penetrates that you need to move :eek:

Soaking overnight? Not sure that would be sufficient for an untreated wood post 3.5ft in the ground.

Read the OP he’s using PT

Indeed!

My information and experience might be wrong and/or outdated, but I reckon:

1) a properly treated, commercial post doesn't need further treatment

2) "overnight" isn't long enough to have the oil and diesel soak in to any great degree

Back