Figured Out Why I Couldn't Mig Weld

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
I bought this Hobart 140 welder a little over a year ago off of Market Place locally. It was brand new, never used, still in the box with warranty for $350. I only ever stick welded before & was amazed how easy this mig was. After a few months went by I couldn't weld at all with it. No matter what I did the wire came out way too fast. When I bought it I immediately sent the warranty papers in...good thing! I called Hobart to check the serial number ready to hang up if it had been stolen. The PO assured me he had just bought it & needed the money more but still I was concerned. The tech at Hobart said it was still under warranty & to drop it off at a shop about 30 minutes away...so relieved. I called the shop to double check my warranty & he said yes your purchase was made only in July of 2017 which verified what the PO told me. I had a bad board that controlled the wire feed was my problem & not me. I went online to check about these boards & the prices are ridiculous some around $150. ! I can't wait to try it out as soon as it warms up a little & I get over my stomach virus.
welding cart28.jpg

yup. those are a good unit, Hobart and Miller (which is what I have) are actually made by the same company. I have thought of getting one like that, as my 220 powered Millermatic 185 isn't as portable as I'd sometimes like for it to be. I bought mine brand new around 1997 and have only ever had to replace the liner once ,and a few contact tips over the years. would like to find a spoolgun for it.... about 10 years ago Miller had a deal where they were throwing that in for free, with purchase of one of their machines. but to find one now, they are priced as gold. I'd like this to try my hand at aluminum welding.
Im glad they are going to take care of it for you.

I went thru 2 lesser MIGs before I went overkill on my current machine. a Century and an "Astro"?

Too bad but on the bright side parts can be sourced. Pays to buy brand name as you did.
My Air Liquide went out of production 10 years ago but parts are still available, been lucky as I have never needed service.

would like to find a spoolgun for it.... about 10 years ago Miller had a deal where they were throwing that in for free, with purchase of one of their machines. but to find one now, they are priced as gold. I'd like this to try my hand at aluminum welding.
Aluminum with a spool gun is so nice! I use my regular mig without spooler, but you MUST keep the torch cable pulled straight or it'll nest the wire in a heartbeat! My mig is also too old to find a spool gun for. I have a TIG, but I can do better with my mig.

Aluminum with a spool gun is so nice! I use my regular mig without spooler, but you MUST keep the torch cable pulled straight or it'll nest the wire in a heartbeat! My mig is also too old to find a spool gun for. I have a TIG, but I can do better with my mig.
Daniel, it sounds like you need a new liner in welding feed lead. Or you have a long lead and your pushing too small DIA. wire.

My only does that after it gets run over by someone in the shop and they forgot to tell me.:confused:

Daniel, it sounds like you need a new liner in welding feed lead. Or you have a long lead and your pushing too small DIA. wire.

My only does that after it gets run over by someone in the shop and they forgot to tell me.:confused:
My liner is good, this only happens when welding aluminum. It never nests when welding steel.

what kind of machine do you have?

usually without a spoolgun they make a "push/pull" type stinger for aluminum, the machine pushes, the stinger pulls at same rate to keep what you are talking about from happening

Back