Finally broke down and got a Farmall H!

MiCarl

Tractorologist
Been wanting an H. One came up near me for a good price. It needs some love: That right tire needs to be turned around, brakes need adjusting, needs a new battery and the muffler has seen better days.

I'm going to lend it to a community educational farm where I volunteer. The farm has two tractors and often it should have three. This one will pull wagon rides and may get hooked to the hay baler from time to time.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Looks to be in great shape!

I've always wanted to operate a big old farm tractor like that. Never got a chance to. They honestly look a little "scary" in some ways. Only farm tractor I ever got to play with was a 2015 John Deere. Don't know what model, just remember him telling me it was over a 100hp.

Those are real easy to change over to 12V too. Starter will handle the 12V with no problem. Small car alternator will fit under the hood where the generator is. Get one with thew built in regulator. MoPar dropping resistor takes care of the points, coil etc. Change a couple 3 bulbs and your in business. Should be able to change the right rim & tire around without removing the center, especially with the one piece center weight.

Other than HP, what are the differences between the H and M?

Physical size mainly, Tires, frame, hydraulics, etc. Not many parts will interchange. M and 400 were closer to the same so more parts will interchange. The 40 lb front side frame hang on weights for the M will not fit on the 400, etc.

Those are real easy to change over to 12V too. Starter will handle the 12V with no problem. Small car alternator will fit under the hood where the generator is. Get one with thew built in regulator. MoPar dropping resistor takes care of the points, coil etc. Change a couple 3 bulbs and your in business.

If the charging system isn't working I may go that route. After the seller boosted it we drove it about 2 miles to the home of my boss at the farm. Another of the volunteers has an equipment trailer and will transport it to the farm when we get a good battery in. I'll probably use the battery from my Cub until I can check the charging system. The ammeter seemed to read charging, but only a couple amps.

Should be able to change the right rim & tire around without removing the center, especially with the one piece center weight.

I saw that. The tire on the left has the valve facing in while the one on the right faces out. I'll probably switch them side to side so both valves face out. It's a low priority for the use it'll be getting.

In the Farmall line up you have the H > Super H > 300 > 350. Then you have the M > Super M, Super MD and Super MTD > 400 > 450. The H and M were some of the most used Farmalls, you still see some around today still being used.

I don't think anything plows prettier than an H or M with a trip plow. It's practically art!

Back