Finally Found Some Cow Manure

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
Living in the country you would think the stuff would be plentiful. It is but no one wants to give it up. I was out this morning & a guys calf got loose out on the road. I pulled over & parked. It took me & him about twenty minutes to wrangle it back to the barn. He had the most manure I've seen behind his barn. I asked him about it & he told me I could have all I wanted anytime & he would load it for me. Very happy!

We used to sell some to people if they asked for it, usually bagged it up. Was good stuff, seemed like nobody wanted to pay the whole $2 for a bag of it, or we’d bag it and they’d never show up. Not very often did they want it just dumped in their truck box. Anyway, it was a pain. We built a new barn and manure pit 10 years ago and no longer have any solid manure, well none that’s easily accessible. The manure settles out in the pit, liquid on the bottom solids on the top. Had a friend ask for some last summer, we reached into the pit with the excavator and scooped some out like that.

Locally farms who do sell manure usually charge $20 for a pickup load. Just a matter of calling ahead for a convenient pickup time. Commercial places want $40 anytime.

Locally farms who do sell manure usually charge $20 for a pickup load. Just a matter of calling ahead for a convenient pickup time. Commercial places want $40 anytime.
I would gladly pay for it but everyone I talked to before didn't want to sell it.

I just bought 45 recycled feed bags of rabbit manure from a guy not far from here. Found him on local classified. Need to pick up maybe next weekend.

Over my years of gardening, I find rabbit pellets are excellent, and can be used green.

I prefere year old horse manure. Whatever you use should not be fresh or it can burn your plants.

The biggest problem with manure that I found is some friends that used what I am gardening now used some cow manure on it. Now I have hog weeds that we never had before. If you are not careful hog weeds will get as big as trees. The only way I would use manure now is if it is composted to kill off the weed seeds. I will use the other manure after I have set up to compost it for a least a year.
Charlie

I just bought 45 recycled feed bags of rabbit manure from a guy not far from here. Found him on local classified. Need to pick up maybe next weekend.

Over my years of gardening, I find rabbit pellets are excellent, and can be used green.

Yep, my garden is right next to the rabbit shed, I just take it straight to garden when I clean out. If I have plants, I will dump it right on the base of plants and cultivate it in a little. Rabbit is nice as you can use it straight from the litter pan to the plants without letting it compost....and no weeds!
Horse manure can be bad for weeds since their stomach don't digest it as thorough as a cow or goat....and it's "hot".

My old neighbour George I use to tell Kare he stood behind his horses every time they were in side the hole time and scoop up any poop as it was coming out. wheeled out to a pile in back of the barn.
I told him I wanted it so he said take it.

I bought a used New Holland manure spreader ran off the PTO. would go fill it with the horse manure bring it home back up to a spot and set there and unload it.

George got me set up with some of his friends so I would hook the spreader to my truck bring it home and make a even bigger pile. I would use the tractor front loader to turn it a couple times a summer.

Used that stuff after a couple years in my garden and was growing sun flowers with trunks 4 inches in dia, and 8 feet tall. Tomatoes vines were nearly as big.

Stopped getting it when the kids left home and I down sized my garden to 3 raised beds 8'x4'.

:D Al

Back