First Breakdown of the Snow Season

chieffan

Tractorologist
I have about 150 yds of drive from the shop/garage down to the machine shed that I need to clear out before we get any more snow. 16 hp Briggs fired right off in the IH 1560. Let it warm up good, engaged the thrower and let it run a bit. Throttled up and eased it out the door into about a foot of snow. Got about 2' when the thrower stopped. Outside yoke was turning on the shaft. From what I can find in the operators manual there is a 3/16" square key and 2 allen set screws that hold that end together. Will grab the allen wrenches and a 3/16 piece of key stock and see if I can get it going after dinner. Nothing major, just aggravating. At least it in inside the machine shed. Well over a foot of snow in a couple places so not going to even thing of driving it up to the shop.

I dealt with similar issue with a key stock that fell out of auger drive a few years ago.
My first breakdown this season was a week ago,, snow blower auger chain popped a link. The SS16 was out snow blowing yesterday and it does work pretty good now that it has proper belt, auger chain repaired and lubed as well as lube in the auger shaft.

If the yoke sleeve is thick enough try using a short set screw with another short one on top of it to jam it in so it can't back out. Another trick to try is put some loktite in the shaft keyway.

Found it wasn't the square key, it was the spiral roll pin sheared off. Didn't have one so put a 1/4" bolt in for now. I have a roll pin kit and have the right size for the 1/4" but not the one for inside to double pin it. The kit skips that size. Another issue came up today, was blowing up hill and noticed one of the rear wheel weight bolts was hanging out. Figure if I stopped I wouldn't get going again. By the time I could stop and pull it out, it wasn't there any more. Same color as the snow. Made a new one and back going once again.

Yep. Maybe tomorrow after hauling a load or two of firewood in the trailer. Ranger is in the shop in town looking for an oil leak.

Back