First Furrow Thoughts!

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
I've only got to do that one time, but have been thinking about how to set a plow up for that. Since I like my 3-point plows, this becomes easier possibly. I bought some extra pins and mounted them in the top hole on the RH side of each plow. Thinking I can back the tractor up and lower the 3-point arms. Set them ~ 5 inches lower than these pins (straight across) for first furrow duty. I have written down the measurements for the links when it's in a furrow, so could easily be set back up after the first furrow was done.
DSCN4192.JPG DSCN4193.JPG DSCN4194.JPG

Anyone one else gave this much thought?

After the first pass, and you then do the second pass, are the plows set to cut 10” or what ever the plow cut is. Or do you have a way to adjust side to side. So in the second pass, if the first plow is 10”, you don’t want to be cutting 8” or 12”.
Hard to explain what I’m thinking.

Noel.

And do you have adjustment on your three point arm on the right, looking from the back, to adjust once you get into your second pass.

Noel

Your three point arms should be level across for the first pass, then readjust when into second pass.
Then, looking from the side, the lower three point arms up to the top link should be straight up and down.
These are starting points only.
Again, hard to explain what I mean.
Hope it works for ya. Post pictures.

Noel.

After the first pass, and you then do the second pass, are the plows set to cut 10” or what ever the plow cut is. Or do you have a way to adjust side to side. So in the second pass, if the first plow is 10”, you don’t want to be cutting 8” or 12”.
Hard to explain what I’m thinking.

Noel.
Your three point arms should be level across for the first pass, then readjust when into second pass.
Then, looking from the side, the lower three point arms up to the top link should be straight up and down.
These are starting points only.
Again, hard to explain what I mean.
Hope it works for ya. Post pictures.

Noel.
And do you have adjustment on your three point arm on the right, looking from the back, to adjust once you get into your second pass.

Noel
I have adjustment on both sides for depth. You can see both lift links in this pic.
View attachment 5604

Width of cut is 10", depth will be around 5". Once the first furrows are made both directions, then I will reset the lift links and attach the RH side in the lower pin since the RH wheels will then be in a furrow. I may get Alice out and take some pics today to better explain this.

With the full size 3 point plows on the farm, there was never any adjustment between first or following passes. With pull type there was an lever for each bottom to set for depth. First pass drop the lead bottom down to depth. Second pass raised it back up. With a back furrow there is a narrow area that don't get turned anyway.

I got Alice out and hooked her to the plow as I would for a first furrow. I checked my lift links and I would need to lengthen them another 2" + to get near a 5" deep furrow. But I think this would work!
DSCN4195.JPG DSCN4196.JPG

Where the red dots are is where I can adjust the lengths of both links.
DSCN4197.JPG

And I have plenty of lift to make this work! May have to adjust the center link some also, but that's easily done when it's put in practice.
DSCN4198.JPG

Back