fixed an orphan

ol' stonebreaker

Tractorologist
A couple of months ago I picked 2 self propelled walk behinds for $5 each. A Toro personal pace and a later model lawn Boy. I started on the Toro first and the engine starts and runs good, no smoke and no rattles. The wheel drive wasn't working so found the belt was worn out and the control cable had the end broke off. Ordered both for about $20. Got them installed and everything works well now. Just needs a new air filter and will put it out for sale in the spring. I gave thought to ordering a rear bag for it but the bag and frame add up to about $105 and I know I won't be able to get that back. I'll keep an eye out for a good used one.
The Lawn Boy owner said some kid used it for a school shop project and it has a "little rattle" so I may have to tear it down and see if the problem is worth fixing. No worry as I'll get my money back with the Toro.

Last edited:
Brought the Lawn Boy in yesterday. It starts and runs fine, seems the only thing needed is a new wheel drive belt. It's supposed to arrive Wednesday.

Edit: I forgot to mention the Lawn Boy and Toro are basically identical except for paint and engine brand. Tranny and guards are basically identical and uses the same belt.

Last edited:
Bad news for the lawn boy. The tranny is junk and a new one is $75 so I just removed the pinion gears and it will be sold as a push mower unless the buyer wants to pay extra for the tranny and I'm not so sure about the ring gears.

Back