Foaming tires?

alleyyooper

Tractorologist
Any one have long term foame dtires on lawn equipment?

Front pivot tires on my mower keep going flat. Spent nearly a whole day getting trhe axel out of just one yesterday so I could install a tube.
why not foam them? wonder about the long term usage?

Al

Foam makes them very stiff and bouncy, I've ran forklifts with foam filled tires and it's like riding on solid rubber tires.

Last edited:
Lot of the front mounts like that are solid/ foam filled. I know JD, Grasshopper and even my Woods are..
2020-04-03_06-47-08_991.jpg

The drives on the Bunton don't get much traction. spit in front of one and it will start spinning.

Al

I "had" a more aggressive drive tire on mine. While better for traction they were awful when turning too tight. Don't miss them.

I have been wondering about foam filling the tires that have the old style tread. Sizes like the 6-22s that aren't being made anymore. Different odd tread designs that were original and can't be found today. Wondering if this would help add new life to old tires and help preserve them?

I have been wondering about foam filling the tires that have the old style tread. Sizes like the 6-22s that aren't being made anymore. Different odd tread designs that were original and can't be found today. Wondering if this would help add new life to old tires and help preserve them?
I get my tires here m. e. MILLER tire | Largest Selection of Hard to Find & Antique Tires

I looked, closest are 6-21 Antique Tractor Tires - Front Tires - Page 1 - m. e. MILLER tire

I'm well aware of Miller tire. To buy a pair of the 7.50-22s they sell with tubes is going to set you back about $1000. My thinking is, if you have a good pair, how can you preserve them to last. Sitting flat is probably the worst thing on a tire. I know some guys that own stock in jack stands and keep them all off the ground. I never had much problem keeping the steel wheels round but the rubber is a real pain. A lot of the old show tractors sit more than they are ran and I would hate to have to replace rubber every few years because of rot. To me, having them foam filled seems like a viable option to help maintain them.

I'm well aware of Miller tire. To buy a pair of the 7.50-22s they sell with tubes is going to set you back about $1000. My thinking is, if you have a good pair, how can you preserve them to last. Sitting flat is probably the worst thing on a tire. I know some guys that own stock in jack stands and keep them all off the ground. I never had much problem keeping the steel wheels round but the rubber is a real pain. A lot of the old show tractors sit more than they are ran and I would hate to have to replace rubber every few years because of rot. To me, having them foam filled seems like a viable option to help maintain them.
Probably a lot rougher ride! Foam doesn't give!

People who show tractors and I am talking show tractors only, cars and trucks wipe their tires down regular with products like armor all. It helps preserve the tires.
They also do not own stock in jack stands but do use wood to drive the tires on in the winter rather than let them set on concrete.

Al

Back