Ford daily driver.

Looks like a 22RE in your picture.

What failed first the guide? The tensioner? Or the stretched chain that the tensioner couldn’t tension anymore and let it ride against the plastic guide?

If you made it anywhere north of a 100k without doing a preventative change you did pretty good!

All brands eventually give you problems. My ford rangers have been amazing. One went 298k before spinning a rod bearing. Dodge Ram was probably my least reliable. I’ve never owned a full-size Chevy truck. My Tacoma was fantastic as well for almost 200k when I sold it.

The least reliable brand was the Kia my wife had when we got married. I wouldn’t take a brand new Kia if you gave it to me.

The truck this thread is about I’d roll around in no problem! I really want an older vehicle. Watching Vice grip garage really has me wanting to find something cool to cruise in.
Guide failed..everything else fine. There was 40k miles on that timing chain kit. This time around I replaced with a Clowes kit that has metal backed guide..

I like my Fords
Me too, as this is a list of parts excepting wear and tear parts from my 86 F250 4 spd 4WD (owned 14 years) fan clutch, rear brake line 97 F2504WD (owned 13-14yrs) fan clutch, rear brake line, rt ft caliper. And now mine of 5 years, 08 F250 super duty 4WD, only a fuel rail pressure sensor ($40). And my 08 Mountaineer for 8yrs+, radiator, thermostat housing, alternator. I've had exceptional reliability! Never needed a tow but once in my life when my Ford Aerostar van with 4.0 fried it's ECM.

I will stay with the Chevy. Silverado has one of the highest resale value of any.
I keep vehicles so long that resale value is an after-thought! I haven't had a Chevy since my 1980 K5 Blazer 4WD which had the worst problem of all my vehicles, but still not bad....just had to have trans rebuilt, and didn't cost me but $150 as I took it out and reinstalled it. But those days are over doing that kind of stuff myself....or at least I hope they are over!

I have only had one Ford and can't complain about it at all. It was a '65 longbody Econoline panel van. Uglier than the '55 GMC I drive now if you can imagine that---LOL! It had a 170 with a 3 on the tree. Only had the two seats in it. It was just about the best vehicle I have ever driven in deep snow! Must have had a posi, and I would put studded snow tires on it. Owned it from 1986 to about 1990.

DAC

Back