Ford/Jacobsen LGT closed sided mower deck belt sizes

TomLGT195

As the title says, I would like to know what sizes I need. It's been a long time since I ran a mower on one. This deck had a shredded belt under the cover. and didn't have the drive belt with it. I asked my buddy that I sold a jake to , to check his and he sent me the belt # and size but its too long. now he's not sure which belt it was. I've tried the old site but with the search not working and trying the google search way, I only found a couple threads with varying answers about the drive but failed to find the deck belt size.
The first pic shows the whole deck with the new pulleys , ( same pulley diameters as what I took off). The second pic shows the position of the idler pulley with what is too long of a belt ( not enough tension on the belt ), third pic shows position of a smaller belt. Both positions appear outside of what The diagram show. Honestly think the shorter belt is the drive belt but need length to confirm.
Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_3463.JPGIMG_3469.JPGIMG_3470.JPG

Great job on that deck restore, Tom! That second belt looks about like the sticker picture to me? Could you just measure that belt and + or - what ever you think may work best like .5 inch one way or the other? The first belt does look too loose and the spring seems to be about relaxed out.

DAC

Tom,
The Ford belt guide on the other site says
1/2 x 80 and 1/2 x 83 are the correct sizes for the 42” deck.
I seem to remember having to use a shorter belt.
I think 78”. Never could figure out why?

Joe

The 83 is what I bought based on Tal's belt info , it was too big. I think I put the drive belt on the deck and that's what seems to fit. Going to get the tractor in the driveway this weekend and figure it out. Thanks guys for the info, I'll report back in when I get it figured out.

Okay, the final belt sizes are 79" for the drive and 81" for the deck. I took the two belts I was using, 80" and a 83", to Tractor Supply to verify lengths and decided to go 1" smaller on the drive and 2" smaller on the deck. The new ones seem to fit just fine and I was able to engage the deck, no funny sounds and the belts stayed on! Take the deck back off and put the belt cover on tomorrow and maybe see how it cuts?

Back