Found a problem with the 3416's deck

MNGB

Tractorologist
Removed the deck and disassembled the center drive spindle and I'm pretty sure I've found what was causing all the problems with the drive belt. The drive pulley had a wobble of about 3/8" so removed the pully and found the cast iron hub was broken about a 1/3 of it was missing and the spindle shaft keyway is badly wallowed out and someone had installed a brass bushing to tighten things up, just guessing I'm thinking that forcing the bub/bushing on may have cracked and broke the hub, so now its to try and find a spindle assembly

HPIM1583.JPGHPIM1584.JPGHPIM1585.JPGHPIM1586.JPG

Right about now I'm wishing I hadn't thrown out all my Simplicity parts. Do you have a lathe? That hub looks like something a guy could make.
I'm going to check with my friend tomorrow and see if he can replace the shaft for the spindle then its to get a set of bearings as for the hub I have an idea Simplicity used a similar hub on the transmission pulley but it has a raised area on the pulley mating area but I think that could be machined off

Our decks are the same but my deck from the 7117 is different. I thought I could replace my bad center spindle from it but can’t. The spindles on the 7117 have splines on the blade end. These must be a weak point on these.

I visited with my friend this afternoon and he said he could machine a new spindle shaft and I found a place that has the hub with a good price, so I'll order the hub and the bearings and will be able to get the spindle back operating

What will your friend do cut the flange for the blade off then weld it back on the new spindle or build up the damaged area then turn and key that area. Mine isn’t that bad as yours but let me know what he would charge me to do the same. Thanks
26C67C8B-2D5F-4BE3-8102-1563E9C25B20.jpeg

He's going to cut the bad shaft out make a new one and weld it back in place, I found a good deal on the pulley hub from Small engine parts warehouse in West Bend, Wi the new PN for the hub is 1651404SM

I'm a little late to this thread, but it looks like you have it all taken care of, GB. Glad it worked. Any pics of the repaired part?
Hi cjet, this is a thread from last fall I revived it because I didn't write down the repairs I did last fall and this was the easiest way to find it back. Just looked no I didn't take any pictures of the repaired spindle guess I was to anxious to get it together and see if it would work, anyway put about 1.5 hrs on it today mowing and it did good so its ready to work

Gary do I see nice looking stripes in your yard? :)
Not in my yard but it looks pretty around the shop area, while I was mowing I was looking at the nice job it was doing and wondering why the Simplicity's do such a nice job is it the rear rollers, the deck shell, the blade placements?? The Power king 48" stamped deck is very similar with rear rollers a deep deck shell 3 blades and they do a good job but I'd have to give the Simplicity a nod over the PK

Back