Found the slop in the steering sector

ol' stonebreaker

Tractorologist
Boy, it was well worn with the groove in the shaft and the eggshaped hole. This was made in '89 so if sears has these they'll want a pint of blood for them so think I'll poor boy it and fill up the groove and fill in the hole and start grinding the shaft with a flap disc and cutting the hole with the die grinder. The square notch in the hole is from driving the quadrant gear key thru.

Attachments

• 2021-07-04 02.51.46 (Small).jpg
    2021-07-04 02.51.46 (Small).jpg
    98 KB · Views: 14
  • 2021-07-04 02.52.13 (Small).jpg
    2021-07-04 02.52.13 (Small).jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 14
Yes there were bushings, the one in the side opposite the bell crank is intact, the opposite just a little left. As I said the notch was created by the 1/2 moon key for the quadrant gear being driven thru the hole.

Got the sector shaft built up and smoothed down to reasonably round, built up the egged hole and went to work with die grinder until I could fit the shaft thru it. Everything went together pretty easy. No pics so I guess it didn't happen!! Steering arms had some little rubber bushings that were mostly gone. Reamed out some 1/4" pipe to fit over tie rod ends and reamed the holes in the steering arms to press fit the pipe. Installed zerks in the king pin housings so the steering is a lot easier now. The plastic king pin bushings were still in good shape. Finally figured out how to get the rubber hub and king pin caps back on easier. Used my O ring pic. Oh, and the wheel hubs already had zerks.

Back