Free tractor

jdcrawler

Tractorologist
This is something that has never happened to me before ..... I was given a free tractor last week.
It is a Toro Master, model-A, golf course tractor.
I have a gas tank sitting on it behind the bus seat that will fit it fairly well.

The front axle, engine, transmission and steering column are from a 1928 to 1931 Ford model-A 1-ton truck.

The channel iron frame, rear axle, steel wheels and radiator are supplied by the Toro company to build the tractor.
It is missing the front grille, gas tank, hood and seat.

DSCN2220.JPG

DSCN2219.JPG

DSCN2223.JPG

Here is a copy of an old Toro advertisement.
This shows a tractor with rubber tires but they came with steel or rubber tires.

Toro - short tractor.jpg

I was looking at the hood and grill pics in Brett’s post. It looks like especially with your experience in fab work you could fab hear with a few pics and measurements.
Happy he can fabricate. I'll be watching here too.

The tricky part is, finding enough good images to know what to fabricate.

From 20-wheels, snag these images
1929 - 1930? Toro Tractor Vintage

From barnfinds,

Master-A,

Oh, this is a really NICE restore for color and balance. I like it!
There are enough images there to do the restore. Save them off, all 47 ! And the 2 vids at the end!

It even has the ID plate!
1726368367274.png
1726181279677.png

1726180997572.png

Last edited:
Great info Brett, I like the black one too with the red wheels. Thanks for digging this up.
I just hope this INSPIRES @jdcrawler to take next steps. Sure it's a plain ugly machine now. Restored it can be a 100 year old SHOW PIECE.

I have a co-worker who recently restored a 100 year old aircraft. At the 2024 EAA Oshkosh world airshow, his plane was picked as the oldest plane in the show and was placed in the show exhibit in front of the Vintage aircraft hanger. He won the Lindsey award easily. There are not many AC registered and flying 100 years or more planes out there today. Just 2 months ago, the plane passed the FAA mechanical certificate for flight. He was nervous that he would miss this year's show not passing.

So with that said, a 100 year old Toro restored as a show piece would turn heads too. These old Toro's set the stage for other brands to spin off from. Look at the early Deere Fairway mowers and other brands . . .

@jdcrawler I believe in your talent. Make your artwork on this machine a real Master piece. :)

Back