Front Hoist Idea

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
Been thinking about this for a while. Finally got started after many hours of thought on how to make it work. Here's where I am now:
DSCN0173.JPG
This will go on the post:
DSCN0174.JPG

Here's a couple shots of how I hope I have reinforced things enough. I don't plan to lift more than 200-250 lbs, mainly to handle 100-150 that's hard for this 70+ person to move.
DSCN0175.JPG DSCN0176.JPG

More to come as the weather lets me work on it.

I like it Kenny! You are building kind of the opposite if what I'm thinking on the MF1450. Going to try to mount a pickup crane to the receiver on the 3 point, then ballast the front of the tractor.

As usual I will learn a lot from your build, and I will steal as many of your ideas as possible!

DAC

I like it Kenny! You are building kind of the opposite if what I'm thinking on the MF1450. Going to try to mount a pickup crane to the receiver on the 3 point, then ballast the front of the tractor.

As usual I will learn a lot from your build, and I will steal as many of your ideas as possible!

DAC
I'm putting it on the front as it's hard for me to line up things on the rear. Much easier to see up there. Be good for an engine removal too which I have one of those to do come Spring. Doubt I will ever extend it, that would mean more rear ballast.

I need to come up with a hoist pole of some sort to put on the bucket of the Satoh. Have a 60lb engine to lift up out of a Polaris Ranger with a cab. Needs to come straight up and back away/out the side. Spring project.
A people lift like Josh and I use will do that. Used mine to pull the engine out of the cab of that Chinese Massimo. Brought it out the driver's side.

A boom lift has so many variations that’s useful. I think if your staying in the shop or on a good floor the manual man lifts are the way to go. I’ve never used a front lift but can see where this would have its advantages to see what your doing. I have a boom lift on the rear of my Simplicity 7117H that I was impressed with. I had to pull and move several old RR ties not too heavy but a lot more than I wanted to physically move. It was funny my plan was to load them in my yard trailer then haul them away. Once I pulled the first one out I thought just keep going to the woods with it. I only had four.

Kenny I would keep the idea of the extension. You could pull into tight places extend out then lift If you needed to. Another idea since you already have a short section of tube in place make your next section to slide into that and pivot left and right at that point. Just a simple pin would hold it in maybe three positions. The only problem would be putting most of your lifted weight on one spindle. Just a thought. Looking forward as usual to your projects.

Been thinking about this for a while. Finally got started after many hours of thought on how to make it work. Here's where I am now:
View attachment 47907
This will go on the post:
View attachment 47908

Here's a couple shots of how I hope I have reinforced things enough. I don't plan to lift more than 200-250 lbs, mainly to handle 100-150 that's hard for this 70+ person to move.
View attachment 47909 View attachment 47910

More to come as the weather lets me work on it.
Biggest thing I can see to worry about is the side to side float of the front axle. Little to nothing to keep the front of the tractor level and plumb. Even a front loader with no side to side swing makes the front of a tractor unstable. If the lift is allowed to pivot the risk of flipping the tractor is very high. Add to that any side swing in the rigging and it starts to get down right scary. With front forks, front end loaders it is always recommended to keep the load as low as possible in order to keep the center of gravity low as possible. With the boom the load has to be considered to be on the tip of the boom. Also considering the pendulum effect of any thing hanging from the boom when you run over any thing with a rear wheel the tip of the boom will move to the opposite side at least as far as the rear wheel is lifted so the load will swing at least twice as far.
I ran over a pine cone with the rear wheel carrying a bucket of snow with the front loader of my Sears 18/6 and it the bucket hadn't hit the ground first I would have been under the tractor.
Duel wheels do help a bunch. Also wheel weights to spread the weight out as far as possible. Should work good but it is going to require lots of very careful thought to use safely.
Don

As far as the load swinging, one could put a strap on both sides, pulling it inward, which would stabilize things pretty well.
I am going to shorten the hook and chain on the hoist to minimize swing some. Most of what I use this for will not have much travel involved, otherwise, I'll keep the load low and move slowly.

One issue I have is it will have to be done on packed rock. No place with concrete. Will look into the people lift things once. Might be able to put a couple sheet of 3/4 plywood down to roll it on.
Harbor freight has some big stem mounted casters on clearance, I plan to put them on my lift for softer surfaces. I'll post a "build" thread when I do, it might work for you.

As far as the load swinging keep it hooked as close to the boom as possible to minimize that. Not all that much different than a cherry picker. lifting a car engine out over the front cross brace or into the back of a 4X4 pickup..
It can boil down to a trade off between keeping the load close to the boom or close to the ground. when the tip of the boom moves the load will react to that movement. The tighter the load is held to the boom the more positive that reaction will be and that can be detrimental.
My plan with a cherry picker and car engine is to lift the engine out of the car, move the car away from the cherry picker lower the engine as close to the ground as I can before moving the cherry picker. then position the cherry picker where the pickup can be backed under the engine when I next lift it. That way at least while I am moving the cherry picker if there is a failure of any kind the engine can only fall a very few inches.
Don

Back