Fuel solenoid power

Mikebuild

Hey all,

My Montana 2740 has a fuel shut off solenoid with a single wire. It is normally "fuel on" and when energized is "fuel off" . On a "single wire solenoid ", where does the power come from when the ignition is switched off? Or ... how is this fuel solenoid activated? The fuse is new and good, and the ignition switch is being replaced.

The solenoid does work, just not by the key. I'm guessing there's a relay or the such, somewhere in the mix. Unable to locate a wiring diagram.

Any ideas?
Grassi

Mike, the solenoid should be built so that it's closed to stop fuel flow when the key is off, otherwise it could run the battery down over extended periods of time the tractor not being used. I would think it would open when energized. I've never been around or worked on a Montana so I can't say how it operates on that tractor.

Last edited:
I agree ... but, this solenoid kills the fuel, when energized. IE., if the tractor is running, I can jump the solenoid and it engages and stops the engine.

Something is backwards for some reason. Power to the solenoid to open the valve. Remove the power and the spring closes the valve. If it draws power with the key/engine off does not sound logical at all. Replace the ignition switch and it may solve your problem.

Did some searching and you failed to mention this is a diesel engine, which makes a heck of a difference as far as shutdown goes. Not sure how to explain how that works but all I can say is if ain't broke don't try to fix it. The solenoid probably is powered by a timed relay that shuts it off sometime after the engine stops otherwise if the solenoid stays engaged and the tractor sits idle long enough the batt would go dead.
Mike

Last edited:
Back