Gas Tank Liner

Arti

Tractorologist
Have a small gas tank that I cleaned up a couple of years ago. The tractor had been left outside and it was full of rust, cleaning did the trick for a couple of years however a couple of days ago I went to start it and had to clean the carb bowl as it was full of rust again.

Anyone used a tank prep and sealer? I did a motorcycle tank a few years ago and after a while the liner started to crumble and that created more issues than the rust.

The product was Kreem as near as I can remember, I had used it several times before with good results but the last one we did on the bike came apart in little pieces.
Anyone used anything that lasted?

I have had the Kreem brand product peel away and clog things up way worse than a little bit of rust would, I have tried a few of them and for me the red kote seems to be the best. I did use something called kbs, they are POR 15'sdirecy competition, that stuff seemed to be alright, as in never had issues with it like I did with the Kreem, that stuff I won't use again

I get mine from a guy named Lee Peterson, he has adds in farm collector and gas engine magazine, I like his product, I buy mine from him directly at the pageant of steam in Canandaigua, I have used red kote, but I don't care for it.

I have had the Kreem brand product peel away and clog things up way worse than a little bit of rust would, I have tried a few of them and for me the red kote seems to be the best. I did use something called kbs, they are POR 15'sdirecy competition, that stuff seemed to be alright, as in never had issues with it like I did with the Kreem, that stuff I won't use again

That would be my concern with any of these tank liners. I had seen plenty of threads on these products good and bad.
I would make a tank considering it’s just a box. Made fuel tank for my old truck as there are no repops

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 9
And I think that you can add a 2nd coat when the 1st dries, before you add gas. If you want to, depends on how bad the tank was to start with

Tank was in overall good shape, The top 1/3 was rusty and the bottom was still shiny after I cleaned it Easy to tell how much gas was in it.
if this keeps the rust at bay it will be awesome, I really hate cleaning carbs. I laid the tank out in the sun yesterday It was in the mid 90's here so it dried fairly quickly.

I'm glad to here you got it. It's the continued rust that caught my attention. Even por products won't work if there is a place of too much rust. The loose rust is the hard part when inside a space difficult to see and reach, a real pain.

Was wondering how you guys are prepping the tank before adding the liner..?

Was wondering how you guys are prepping the tank before adding the liner..?

I tossed my SS16 into my bucket of vinegar for a week. Rinsed it out and inside appeared sandblasted,,,that steel grey look. I did not use tank liner. Just some JB Weld to repair a crack. Gets much better fuel mileage now that it’s not leaking

I tossed my SS16 into my bucket of vinegar for a week. Rinsed it out and inside appeared sandblasted,,,that steel grey look. I did not use tank liner. Just some JB Weld to repair a crack. Gets much better fuel mileage now that it’s not leaking
So vinegar does the trick ..? Can't say I knew that...

@4getgto

I usually put several sharp rocks and a few steel nuts. Then I strap it inside the rim of one of my Gts back tires and go mow or something like that. It really knocks the rust loose and usually gets the rust out of the bottom of any pits in the steel.

Back