Gehl 880. Reel clutch assembly

Rotor

Help

Can anyone tell me how the reel clutch assembly comes off of the shaft. I tried heat,beat,and a puller and cannot get it to budge. There is a bearing in behind it that needs replaced. It is keyed on the shaft with a woodruff key. Cannot find a service manual for this old Gehl 880. See pics. Its item25 on attached. I also drilled out the key, hoping that would relieve some of the pressure

Anybody had experience with this or something similar.

Attachments

• 64A1052A-9D3A-4355-BFA1-34DFBB8723E3.jpeg
    64A1052A-9D3A-4355-BFA1-34DFBB8723E3.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 18
  • F5A507AD-3C6C-43C7-9D8E-DE6173E1BD9B.jpeg
    F5A507AD-3C6C-43C7-9D8E-DE6173E1BD9B.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 18
Have you tried coco cola yet. Not sure the new stuff will work as good as the old stuff.

Al

I have heard of that. never tried it

I was thing of heating shaft red hot and trying to pull it again.

Looking at the parts diagram, the back plate and the keyed portion are separate and possibly need to be removed individually. No idea really, but a thought. Not sure how you'd do that though as there's nothing to pull the keyed part.

I had a antique tractor hub I had to remove. soaked it in different penatration oils for a week or so. Didn't work so make a puller useing a jack and chain then applied heat with a smoke wrench and beat on it with a sledge and still would not move.

My dad called and asked how I was doing getting that hub off the axel and I told him after close to 3 weeks it had not budged. Dad said get some old coke (new coke had just hit the markets.) so I bought a 6 pack on my way to work. Next mornng i got up and poured that coke on the cool shaft still with the jack hooked up and left it all th erest of the day and thru the night . Next morning went out and thr jack was laying on the ground< hum I think and grab the hub and slide it off the axel with my hands.

Another thjng you might try is bees wax, can get a towlet seal rain made with real bees wax.

Al

"Old Coke' would eat asphalt too! Done that!"

Tenderize meat and more. Just think people drank it then and still today.

Al

Back in the late 80's early 90's working on combine harvester's in similar situations of trying to get a hub off to replace a bearing behind the hub. We would heat up the hub red hot, not the shaft, with a rosebud tip and then spray it with cold water from a garden hose. I remember a couple of times we had to do that 2-3 times before the hub would move. The first couple of times we were concerned the hub may crack or break but we never had one crack.

Have you tried hitting the hub to move it in a little before trying to take it off to unlock the rust weld?

I tried heating red hot yesterday and cooling several times. This thing wont move. The hub is only 1 piece. I left it hot and under the puller pressure last night, will see what happens this morning. Starting to think maybe this key is something special. If I could find a new or used hub I would cut the old one off. Called around the country and cannot find a hub for this Gehl
Thanks guys for all the comments

Heat it and then apply pb blaster while hot, sounds like a bad idea but works great, I generally stay away from gehl as parts are non-existant.

Back