general gardening topics

holdenboy1960 (Shane )

Tractorologist
Catch up time

this summer gardens was a flop for me with a long harsh nasty drought 1"+ cracks in the ground ect and me being not well , watering the plants came at a loss and got no veggies all summer , have started to get tomatoes parsley ect since it cooled off a bit

it was that dry even the animals were eating stuff not normally touched example , the crows ate watermelon , figs ,tomatoes oranges ,, king parrots and crows ate most of my corn , i had to use cages over the melons and pumpkins to save them so i got a few in autumn , i did manage to get 8 pumpkins and 3 melons so better than nothing so far and more pumpkin flowers on now as long as they don't get frosted

possums ate everything else like parsley, tomatoes and the whole plants they even ate my potted fig tree bare , ate every leaf. i had to water all the adult fruit trees to keep them alive also , lemon, fig , orange ,lemonade ,purple grapefruit ,and lime trees 2 gals of water every 2 weeks just to keep them but was worth it .

my potato plants looked really good so when they died off i dug them to find nothing but a mass of roots and no taters , i was so disappointed

we had a little rain in march but that's gone , oh well back to out winter drought , as i feel better i will soon start and work up a new section of ground for a garden come spring next to the pumpkin patch and remove the divider fence to make it one large garden

Shane

Jazz

Tractorologist
We have to watch for grackles. Our honey berries are almost ready. Last year grackles took every berry one day
Wife’s picking Swiss Chard daily. It’s one thing we get lots of. Eat it daily as well as freezing plenty
Pumpkins and herbs a couple months from ready

Attachments

chieffan

Tractorologist
We have used Seven dust for years on the garden with good success. Don't plant Potato's so don't know how it would work with them. Picked the 3 Broccoli heads this morning. They were real nice size but wouldn't last another couple days. Goats got to eat the Cauliflower as it was junk. So far the plastic rings have kept the Mellon's, Pumpkin, Cuc's, etc. safe from the bunnies. First year we have had a problem with those little critters. Tomatoes are looking good but nothing big or red as yet. No Beet's as the rabbits got them too. Ton's of lettuce and still getting some but it is about over. About dry enough to get in with the weeder and tiller but chance of rain the next 4 days. Have to mow again tomorrow. Got a few Strawberries this morning. New plants this year so may have to water them if it don't rain soon.

Jazz

Tractorologist
I was picking Swiss Chard yesterday and discovered hoards of mushrooms throughout the Swiss Chard. Not sure the source whether manure or the soil I bought
Anyone know if these are edible or do I just fry and serve a plate for Beakers lunch

Attachments

Last edited:

holdenboy1960 (Shane )

Tractorologist
plowed up heaps more stones from the 2nd section of garden and most grass is gone from there now aswell , mulched one pile of grass back into the 1st section and harrow drag spread it around , but still got 3 piles of grass to mulch up yet and 1/2 tonne of stone to move yet lol . i will use all the stones outside the garden on the top side to stop water wash and erosion-if it ever decides to rain again , no photos at the moment slow net

Shane