Getting ready for the tractor show

cjet69

Tractorologist
Our local tractor show starts next Wednesday so I am getting several tractors ready. Not sure which ones I will take yet, but I have been working on our 1946 John Deere AO. Its been sitting for quite a while because it lost spark and the last time I tried to start it the bendix drive got stuck because of rust. I have already put points and condenser in the Mag and pulled the starter to free up the bendix. I think I will drain the old fuel next and check the carb over.

100_9666 (Medium).JPG100_9668 (Medium).JPG100_9671 (Medium).JPG100_9672 (Medium).JPG100_9673 (Medium).JPG100_9675 (Medium).JPG100_9677 (Medium).JPG100_9678 (Medium).JPG100_9683 (Medium).JPG

I decided too try starting it on old gas. It fired right up with a big cloud of black smoke and rust from the muffler. I had to leave the choke pulled about halfway to keep it running. After opening the jets up a little I could shut the choke off. I notice the ammeter was not showing any charge so got the voltmeter out and traced it to a pressure switch. I'll see if NAPA has one tomorrow. I also found the clutch was tight probably due to rust buildup. I think if I just back off on the adjusting nuts a little it should be good to go. Then all I need is a good cleanup.

100_9689 (Medium).JPG100_9691 (Medium).JPG100_9694 (Medium).JPG

I spent the day changing oil, greasing, and oiling all of the pivot points. Pumped up all of the tires and then pressure washed the crud off. Its getting to be time for a repaint soon. I loosened off the clutch, washed it out, and drove it around for a bit until the clutch started slipping a little. I readjusted then and its working good now. Tomorrow will be road trip day to get a pressure switch and then it should be ready for the show.

100_9696 (Medium).JPG100_9697 (Medium).JPG

Back