Gilson built Ward 15 Hydrostatic

Rustyoldjunk

Rustologist/Punishment Glutton
Here's the 1972 Wards 15 Hydrostatic that I have been working on this weekend.
I got it from a buddy last weekend,who saved it from the scrap man.
It is a very solid,complete,
original tractor.
Most everything on it appears untouched,never off,apart or,messed with. The air filter appears brand new,as do the Briggs branded points.
Somehow it ended up out to pasture years ago.
I got the mouse nesting out of the blower tin,pulled the driveshaft and changed the starter generator belt,changed the fuel filter and gas line (the tank was clean as new inside),changed the oil and took it for a hour test ride this evening around the property. I did start it and run it just a little last weekend. The first time in years that It was started I'm guessing.
The big cast iron Briggs runs very nice and the Vickers hydro is super smooth and very strong.
The hydro lift is strong and tight.
The frame and steering are very heavy duty on this tractor. Way more than I would have given it credit before having crawled all around under it.
Now to change hydro fluid and filter and grease the tractor.20191027_181929.jpg

Attachments

• 20191027_181940.jpg
    20191027_181940.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20191027_181952.jpg
    20191027_181952.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20191027_181959.jpg
    20191027_181959.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20191027_181851.jpg
    20191027_181851.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20191027_181923.jpg
    20191027_181923.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 17
Cool....amazing what people will throw away
Poncho if I were guessing,I would guess that was a one owner that was meticulously maintained and something happened that made the tractor and owner part ways and the tractor was just left out to pasture at that point.
It's only a guess but by looking at,and working on this tractor that's how it looks to me.

That was a great save, Rusty! Previous owner probably passed away and a lot of his stuff eventually got tossed or scrapped. Was there a deck or anything with it?

DAC

That was a great save, Rusty! Previous owner probably passed away and a lot of his stuff eventually got tossed or scrapped. Was there a deck or anything with it?

DAC
DAC My buddy that saved it from a scrapper said the guy told him there was a dozer/snowplow and deck with it but he had already scrapped them.
Another buddy of mine has a tiller for it that I plan to pick up.

I've had a couple of those Wards Gilson tractor (gearshift models) they are well built tough tractors an yes that big Briggs is a very good engine lots of power and they do like gas

DAC My buddy that saved it from a scrapper said the guy told him there was a dozer/snowplow and deck with it but he had already scrapped them.
Another buddy of mine has a tiller for it that I plan to pick up.
Man that's sad the attachments got scrapped! Glad you are able to get a tiller at least. Looks like a great workhorse.

DAC

Man that's sad the attachments got scrapped! Glad you are able to get a tiller at least. Looks like a great workhorse.

DAC
DAC I may look for a sleeve hitch for it. I would like to have a rear grader blade for it.
I do have a big trailer (as compared to a lawn cart) that all my tractors take turns pulling so I'm sure it could get some use there too. I might also look around for another snow plow/dozer for it.

I've had a couple of those Wards Gilson tractor (gearshift models) they are well built tough tractors an yes that big Briggs is a very good engine lots of power and they do like gas
I do love my cast iron Briggs and Tecumseh engines and I'm not opposed to Kohler K series either. I prefer the cast iron Briggs for feel,sound and, torque. The Tecky engines are best of the 3 on fuel.
Any of them are better on fuel than most twins in my experience.

Back