GMT230

greenb6901

Tractorologist
Friday I am picking up a 1978 gmt230. It is hydro drive and I need to pull it up on my trailer. I am unable to find a manual on it so does anyone know where the valve is to put the thing in neutral so it will role. It has bad gas's in it so I don't want to run it. Anything else that anyone can tell me about them would be great.
Thanks

Depends what hydro is in it. The Eaton/Peerless will roll in neutral. Sundstrand's have the buttons on top you push in.

If the rear end doesn't have hi/lo with a neutral, then those 2 buttons on top of the hydro is all you have. Push them down and they should hold. Once you fire the engine up, the buttons should come back up, but often they stick requiring some soaking.

Friday I am picking up a 1978 gmt230. It is hydro drive and I need to pull it up on my trailer. I am unable to find a manual on it so does anyone know where the valve is to put the thing in neutral so it will role. It has bad gas's in it so I don't want to run it. Anything else that anyone can tell me about them would be great.
Thanks
Ok I hate to look uninformed (depending on who you ask ;) :p) but what is a gmt230 ? Pictures please ? :D

Depending which Sundstrand these are, there are 2 on top of the charge pump. Your pic doesn't show the top of the pump.

This thing articulates in the middle this the power steering and the box on the back has a drop down tail gate. 60" mower deck on the front like a zero turn. I understand that the GM stands for grounds maintenance and they were used a lot at golf courses. All 4 tires are 26x10.50x12. pretty heavy duty.

This thing articulates in the middle this the power steering and the box on the back has a drop down tail gate. 60" mower deck on the front like a zero turn. I understand that the GM stands for grounds maintenance and they were used a lot at golf courses. All 4 tires are 26x10.50x12. pretty heavy duty.
Do you know who built them ?
Is it 2wd ?
Very very cool rig !
I wonder if you can still 26 10.50 12 tires.
I have said for several years that somebody should have made 26s in a narrower size than 12 wide.
I know you can get ATV tires in sizes such as that.
I just always thought that a 26 in 8 50 or 9 50 ag tread would be a great tire for vintage garden tractors.

Depending which Sundstrand these are, there are 2 on top of the charge pump. Your pic doesn't show the top of the pump.
Big thanks to KennyP. The two buttons worked perfect. The one thing I forgot about was the power steering. No way to steer it but it pulled out of his building perfectly and we drug it up on my trailer with a winch. Going to clean the system later today and fire it up. The guy was asking $550. for it but I got it for $450. I figure the cool factor is worth that. The deck is solid and no rust anywhere. Will post more later.

Finally got out today and pulled an electric fuel pump off that had burnt up and shouldn't have been on it anyway. Cleaned the system out and had to replace the coil but it fired up and everything runs and drives great. I will post a picture of it running, possibly tomorrow.

Back