Got a drive in this today.

Propane1

Tractorologist
What a nice truck. I just love all the gear sounds, three on the tree shifting sounds and the squeaking clutch pedal. 1966. Dad had a few of those years and years ago that I drove. Was a great drive.

Noel

Attachments

• 145B0116-3AD3-4E3B-9402-32B131CDFC92.png
    145B0116-3AD3-4E3B-9402-32B131CDFC92.png
    3 MB · Views: 10
I’ve heard of those V6’s but never seen one, yet. They are a 305 cu in as far as I know. A fella here has one. But I’ve never seen it.

Noel

My first pickup was a 66 step side, straight six with three on the tree. I ran that truck every where. Used to drive it from Virginia to Georgia on a regular basis chasing a girl in Anthens. Got rid of the girl and the truck. I miss the truck.

Our body shop had one when I was in High school. I loved driving it because it was so easy to squawk the rear tires. On accident of course:rolleyes: The V-6 had a lot of torque and the back end was light. By todays standards they were pretty crude and with rear coil springs if the shocks were worn the back end would bounce down the hi-way like a basket ball. Still they were a reliable truck.

Last edited:
What a nice truck. I just love all the gear sounds, three on the tree shifting sounds and the squeaking clutch pedal. 1966. Dad had a few of those years and years ago that I drove. Was a great drive.

Noel
That is a beautiful Canadian '66, Noel! I too would love to take a drive in that! Is it an inline 6 or a Chevy 283 V-8?

DAC

I’ve heard of those V6’s but never seen one, yet. They are a 305 cu in as far as I know. A fella here has one. But I’ve never seen it.

Noel
In the US a couple different versions of the 305 were available from 1960 thru 1968 or so. There was also a 351 that was introduced in 1966 if I remember right. There was an industrial version of the 351 V-6 that was combined to make a 702 12 cylinder. Was a very popular engine on irrigation pumps and many bigger GMC trucks.

Nice V-12.jpg

I had one for a couple of years, and sure wanted to get it back on the street or trail since it was a 4x4. It was a '62 but had a Chevy cab put on it at one time. Rough looking but it ran great, transfer case and transmission worked perfect. Really no uglier than my '55---LOL!

62-1.jpg 62-8.jpg

A 1960 GMC is actually what started my addiction to GMC's. Mom and Dad bought a brand new GMC Suburban in 1960. I was only 4 but I loved that truck. When Dad left home in 1964 he took that truck and I never saw it again! He was driving a '61 Cadillac when I saw him again in 1965. I was more mad about him trading that Suburban for the Cad than I was him and Mom splitting up!

Mom and the 1960 Suburban, Christmas Day, 1963. Flood damaged picture.

Christmas 1963  Mom & GMC.jpg

Sorry about acting like some kind of know it all about these but I dig these trucks still even though I don't own one right now.

DAC

Last edited:
Our body shop had one when I was in High school. I loved driving it because it was so easy to squawk the rear tires. On accident of course:rolleyes: The V-6 had a lot of torque and the backend was light. By todays standards they were pretty crude and with rear coil springs if the shocks were worn the back end would bounce down the hi-way like a basket ball. Still they were a reliable truck.
That GMC must have been ordered with the coils. GMC kept leaf springs as standard equipment in half-tons after Chevy went coil spring standard. It was possible to special order each truck either way though.

By today's standards crude for sure, but those engines were survivors despite the pretty massive weight!

DAC

Straight 6 Doug. He’s looking for a heat gauge for it. Apparently, you can get chev ones, but not GMC ones. Any ideas as to how get some thing like that.

I was impressed with the truck

Noel

He might try this website, Noel.

He does have to register and join to see and post in the "Marketplace" section. It is free to join though. Good group of folks.

Yeah even though the Canadian GMC's used Chevy engines, there were still quite a few differences from GMC to Chevy. Dash layouts were one of them.

DAC

That GMC must have been ordered with the coils. GMC kept leaf springs as standard equipment in half-tons after Chevy went coil spring standard. It was possible to special order each truck either way though.

By today's standards crude for sure, but those engines were survivors despite the pretty massive weight!

DAC
My 66 had coil springs. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one with lead springs. Pretty sure my Dad’s 72 had coils, too.

Back