Got the Sickle mower out and used it

MNGB

Tractorologist
Thursday I got the sickle mower out of the back of the shop and started mowing the township road ditch its a mile from my place to the county highway we at just about at the end of the road. Got about 3/4 of the way and a couple of bolts came out of the 3 pt lift arm and of course there were none in the toolbox lucky I did have a light chain in there after several tries got it to hold so I could get back home made the repairs needed and went out again things were going good then about a quarter mile from home I got into so extra heavy growth and the sickle stopped checked over and the large drive pulley has a different welded hub set up then I've used before this had 2 thin steel round disc that the hub is welded to and the disc must have been spot welded to the pulley anyway it was slipping. Yesterday we had weather 4.5" of rain a tornado a couple of miles from here lucky no damage for us. This morning I drilled 4 3/16" holes in the disc and pulley installed 4 aircraft 10-32 bolts and its good as new, finshed up the road ditch and mower along the drainage ditch along the runway all went pretty good I have decided that a set of front wheel wts would be nice because when the grass gets really heavy it has a tendency to pull the front over and that gets my attention when work along a ditch.

HPIM2551.JPGHPIM2552.JPGHPIM2553.JPGHPIM2554.JPGHPIM2555.JPGHPIM2556.JPG

Tractor mounted unitds are few and far between in these parts so I been looking fora horse drawn mower I can adapt as a pulltype for a GT.

That mows really nice! Is it a 4 footer? Could you give me pulley diameters. When I get back to my sickle tractor project knowing your diameters will help get my speed right. Also, what speed do you run the engine at?

That mows really nice! Is it a 4 footer? Could you give me pulley diameters. When I get back to my sickle tractor project knowing your diameters will help get my speed right. Also, what speed do you run the engine at?
Hi its 4.5' was an old horse mower the engine pulley is 2" and the larger driven pulley is 8" I run the engine about 1/2 throttle that seems to work good

That looks like a lot of fun, looking forward to getting my sickle bar going maybe next year

Back