Got the Simplicity 3416 in and installed the deck

MNGB

Tractorologist
Got the Simplicity 3416 into the shop from its winter slumber this is the one I replaced the bad exhaust valve in last fall, battery was pretty much dead from sitting (and its old) so with a jump battery got it running and it runs good but the darn B&S Flo-jet carb leaks if you don't shut the gas valve. So I got the deck in and checked it over blades were pretty good but I sharpened them, greased the spindles reinstalled the blades turned the deck over and removed the deck covers found a mouse nest under there and it was wet from the rain we had, got it cleaned up and found a bad spot on the deck belt so replaced it with a new one got it all reassembled, this morning got it back under the tractor and all attached and the drive belt reinstalled. Started the engine and engaged the deck clutch and it was working a bit noisier than a few years ago but ok.. I plan to mow with it some this spring/summer as its 48" and a hydro will give the Suburban a little rest

HPIM1132.JPGHPIM1133.JPGHPIM1134.JPGHPIM1135.JPG

Last edited:
Took the 3416 out for a little test run and engaged the deck was driving along and it got quite so back to the shop figured the old drive belt broke looked and no belt so retraced my drive and found the belt it was ok so I investaged some and found when I installed the front hitch pins I didn't get the RH one in all the holes so the deck move back got the oin in right reinstalled the drive belt and it good to go for now, was looking up new drive belt when my brother called told him my story and he said don't buy a belt he had a new one in his shop so that worked out good

Took the 3416 out for a little test run and engaged the deck was driving along and it got quite so back to the shop figured the old drive belt broke looked and no belt so retraced my drive and found the belt it was ok so I investaged some and found when I installed the front hitch pins I didn't get the RH one in all the holes so the deck move back got the oin in right reinstalled the drive belt and it good to go for now, was looking up new drive belt when my brother called told him my story and he said don't buy a belt he had a new one in his shop so that worked out good
I love seeing these vintage machines being used as "daily drivers", I wrote about today's market and how bad it is and my reasons for recommending the quality manufacturers like Simplicity, and your post just validates that.

Again nice machine.

Well I never did complete a complete mowing at the shop this summer with the 3416 had a couple of minor problems then the last time the RH rear tire went flat found the tire had split in the tread so I searched for a replacement tire got an old junker Simplicity from my brother got the tire that looked usable off only to find it was loaded with chloride and the rim was rusting badly, then we never got any rain so I put off messing with that nasty chloride stuff so the 3416 sits in the shop taking up space the heavy nasty tire and wheel lays outside, then yesterday while looking for an engine for the tow mower I seen a Simplicity 7012 with almost brand new wheels and tires. I asked what he wanted for the wheels he said $50.00 or $75.00 for the tractor so guess what I decided it has a Kohler K301 12hp engine that turns over so will see what I really got but will remove the wheels and install them on the 3416, the tires still have a couple of tags on them

HPIM1516.JPGHPIM1517.JPGHPIM1518.JPGHPIM1519.JPGHPIM1520.JPGHPIM1521.JPG

I have a 7012 that I had to replace the engine as the piston split. I see that has a front PTO and the mule drive for a snow thrower. If you have a thrower the PTO can be transferred to your 3416. I have my son's 3416 in my garage and it has the front PTO and a rear lift

I have a 7012 that I had to replace the engine as the piston split. I see that has a front PTO and the mule drive for a snow thrower. If you have a thrower the PTO can be transferred to your 3416. I have my son's 3416 in my garage and it has the front PTO and a rear lift
Hi Rad no snowblower but I did see the mule drive and front PTO have never seen on on a Simplicity before will be looking it over in the future

I have a 7117 repowered with a Kohler 20hp with a bad deck and a beast of a rear tiller. I love this tractor one of the best grass cutters I have. I seen one like yours with the side headlights peeking from around a barn with weeds around it not far from me. I’m not sure what model it is just identified it by the headlights. I might stop over there and try not to be too excited about it lol.

Got the wheel off the 7012 and moved to the 3416 today found the new ones are 1" smaller 22x9.50x12 vs 23x10.50x12 but they look just fine took it out for a test drive and it did good now if we would just get some rain I could try mowing with it

HPIM1522.JPGHPIM1523.JPGHPIM1524.JPG

Looks like it’s ready to work now. It’s funny how you mentioned basically getting off of one GT and on another GT to cut grass the same day. Running these old classics sometimes takes more than one to cover for the other because of problems. We only have one neighbor close by and other friends have told me I sure have a lot of tractors. I just smiled with that look of pride but never told them sometimes it takes a few to get the job done.

Back