Got'er done!!

Cadman-iac

Tractorologist
Well I finally got this tractor all back together and all the bugs worked out of it, I think.
(Wish I could say the same for my keyboard issue).
But anyway, I wanted to know if anyone here can tell me what holds the hood up and keeps it from smashing into the grille. My other one had a chain that kept it from going too far, but the hood for this one doesn't have a single place that a chain, or anything else can attach to to stop it. I finally just put 4 rubber bumpers on the grille so it has something to rest against.
I had to modify the hood because the tractor doesn't have the original fuel tank, so the hole in the hood was not in the right spot. I painted it white to match the grille and the dashboard, but also because it hides my less than stellar bodywork, lol! It doesn't look that bad, as long as you don't look too closely at it.
There's a picture of the new muffler bracket I made too. Much better than what it had.
And a few of the mower deck I adapted to it. This deck had one belt that drove the blades and went up to the engine. So I had to modify that by using 3 matching Chevy waterpump pulleys to get a second belt on it that just runs between the blades.
You can see where I cut and welded the deck to clear the front wheels too. That turned out to be unnecessary.

Anyway, the main question is how did they keep the hood from hitting the grille? A cable, chain, bracket, what?

Thanks for any help.
Rick

Attachments

• 20200913_153632.jpg
    20200913_153632.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200913_153641.jpg
    20200913_153641.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200913_153701.jpg
    20200913_153701.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200913_153712.jpg
    20200913_153712.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200913_153722.jpg
    20200913_153722.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200913_153805.jpg
    20200913_153805.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200913_153821.jpg
    20200913_153821.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 20
All the Sears hoods I've seen were held up by a cable. Attacking from a motor shroud bolt on the motor to a bolt on the hood. But looking at your hood has me wondering.

Was there two small holes in the center front of the hood? My uncles SS12 had a silver rib hood ornament there.
No, no holes at all. That's what has me confused. The only thing it has are the little holes in the pivot pins that keep it attached to the grille.
Well, and it did have a big hole for the gas cap to stick through it, but I know that ain't where you would put a cable or chain, unless you were my brother, lol!

I tried to figure a way that you could put a stop lever on the pivot pins, but they're not big enough to handle the stress from that. And there really isn't any room around the pins for that to work either.

All the Sears hoods I've seen were held up by a cable. Attacking from a motor shroud bolt on the motor to a bolt on the hood. But looking at your hood has me wondering.

Yeah, the only holes in this hood are the vent holes on the side , and the gas cap hole. I looked it over very carefully and it doesn't, or didn't, have a single mark on it that would indicate a cable or chain had been hooked up to it. I've blasted it and painted it now. What's even more weird is that the grille didn't have any marking on it from the hood hitting it either. I'm confused!

You could drill a hole on each side behind the hinge pins and put maybe three quarter to one inch carriage bolts with nuts and rubber sleeves in to make stop pins.
Yeah, I guess I could have done it that way, but I didn't think of it. I only saw what it was doing to the grille and figured a soft rubber bumper would stop that from happening. Now I have 4 holes across the grille from the screws holding the rubber in place. That actually works really good, and if I didn't know better, I'd think it was how it should have been.

I'd still like to know how it was supposed to be though.

Rick

Thanks guys, I saw that blank spot on the center of the grille and figured it needed something. That's what I came up with. Probably not many like it, don'tcha think?

On the Sears good, there is a pin on the (driver perspective) right hand side that hits the back of the grill. It's about 2-3" away from the hinge bolt
Sometimes, if the hood is a little tweaked, the pin will miss the grill.
I believe they were spot welded on, so I suppose it could be missing?

On the Sears good, there is a pin on the (driver perspective) right hand side that hits the back of the grill. It's about 2-3" away from the hinge bolt
Sometimes, if the hood is a little tweaked, the pin will miss the grill.
I believe they were spot welded on, so I suppose it could be missing?
I don't suppose you would be able to get a picture of the piece that you are referring to? Mine must be broken off, or it was cut off when the previous owner modified the hood to clear the muffler.
I've looked it over and over and have not found anything yet that could be considered a stop for the hood. No evidence whatsoever. I do know that the muffler is not the original one, and that it's a lot bigger than the original one.
As far as I can tell, the only thing that was cut from the hood was the vents on the right side.
Thanks,

Rick

I sure appreciate the pictures, that explains the whole problem. The guy who trimmed the hood trimmed that tab right off of it. No wonder I couldn't find anything.

Thank you for taking the time to check this out for me.

Rick

Attachments

• 20200927_182637.jpg
    20200927_182637.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 7
Back