Gravely Commercial 10 crankshaft issues

rwanz

I have a crankshaft with a slightly out of tolerance .Connecting Rod Journal. I can't seem to locate a second hand Crankshaft, but have heard that there is a way to take a good rod and mill it to accept bearings to allow for the crank journal to be ground beyond specified tolerance. I was wondering if anyone familiar with this could help send me to the correct people to do the job. Likewise, if anyone knows of a replacement Crankshaft that would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance for any assistance you might provide. My Gravely has been in the family for 50 years and has been a work horse when needed. I hope to be able to get it back in operation so I can get it back to work...rwanz

Welcome to TF

So where have you been looking for a crankshaft??? a 50 yr old 10hp K241 is not real common but there is often beat up old garden tractors for sale reasonably cheap with those engines. Or if anyone in your area has a tractor scrap yard they might sell a complete running engine for under $200... you cant rebuild your engine for that.

There is variations with the size of the output shaft so you would have to watch for that but the engine doesnt have to be from a gravely.

I had a C12 in the shop a few years ago... nice machine, had tiller, mower, and a homebuilt sulky.

edit:..... and where are you?

Welcome to TF

So where have you been looking for a crankshaft??? a 50 yr old 10hp K241 is not real common but there is often beat up old garden tractors for sale reasonably cheap with those engines. Or if anyone in your area has a tractor scrap yard they might sell a complete running engine for under $200... you cant rebuild your engine for that.

There is variations with the size of the output shaft so you would have to watch for that but the engine doesnt have to be from a gravely.

I had a C12 in the shop a few years ago... nice machine, had tiller, mower, and a homebuilt sulky.

edit:..... and where are you?
Thanks for responding...i'm in North Georgia and you hit the crankshaft on the head! Yes, I have found plenty of k241 crankshafts listed on ebay, but none with the correct output shaft for my gravely. I've been on several different forums hoping someone would know of a place for resizing the connecting rod or the correct crankshaft, but so far no luck...

Thanks for responding...i'm in North Georgia and you hit the crankshaft on the head! Yes, I have found plenty of k241 crankshafts listed on ebay, but none with the correct output shaft for my gravely. I've been on several different forums hoping someone would know of a place for resizing the connecting rod or the correct crankshaft, but so far no luck...
If you contact these folks, believe he can do that for you.

Back