Hard Cold Starting

chieffan

Tractorologist
Kohler Magnum in my Cub 1862 is hard to swtart cold. Take a lot of turning it over at 1/2 throttle and full choke. Close to 30 seconds of cranking, in three different trys before it will start. Is this a fuel pump issue not holding the gas in the carb? Or is there other issues causing this ? Once it starts it runs fine pull good when mowing, good governor response, etc. Even starting it the same day is OK. After it sits over night or for a week or longer that the issue show up. I am thiniking a fuel issue as I can squirt gas down the air intake and it will fire right off. Any suggestions appreciated, only the third Kohler I have owned, 7 hp still going strong and the one in the IH782 blew up.

I had a similar issue on my 782. Installed a Napa low pre electric fuel pump. Now I turn the key on and listen for the pump to pressure up which tells me the carb is full, and it starts right up. I always shut the fuel off and run the carb mostly dry before shutting the engine off. I lost a magnum engine in 682 when the fuel drained into the crankcase.
Are you losing fuel out of the carb overnight?

I had that problem with a new Simplicity mower. Called the dealer and he Told me he wasn't suppose to tell me this but it works. Emission laws I suppose. Look and make sure the choke is closing all the way. After pulling the choke knob all the way out loosen the screw on the carb that holds the choke cable and pull on it till the choke closes all the way and tighten the clamp. No more starting issues.

I had that problem with a new Simplicity mower. Called the dealer and he Told me he wasn't suppose to tell me this but it works. Emission laws I suppose. Look and make sure the choke is closing all the way. After pulling the choke knob all the way out loosen the screw on the carb that holds the choke cable and pull on it till the choke closes all the way and tighten the clamp. No more starting issues.
I think your right on Chris, that's where I start looking

I had a similar issue on my 782. Installed a Napa low pre electric fuel pump. Now I turn the key on and listen for the pump to pressure up which tells me the carb is full, and it starts right up. I always shut the fuel off and run the carb mostly dry before shutting the engine off. I lost a magnum engine in 682 when the fuel drained into the crankcase.
Are you losing fuel out of the carb overnight?
It is not showing up on the oil dip stick . That is the first thing I thought of too. Fuel draining into the crankcase.

There is a fuel shut off at the tank but one with the small knob that turns hard and hard to get to so haven't been shutting it off. Probably need to put on in the line some place.

Never thought about the choke not closing all the way. Will check that first. Thanks for the info guys. Not a Kohler fan so kind of steared away from them but this tractor was in good condition and had power steering and the price was right.

Never occurred to me that the choke wasn’t closing all the way. Thanks.

Put a manual shut off in the line from the pump to the tank. Fuel pup is mounted on the heat panel at the back of the engine so easy enough to get to. Have turned it off twice when finished mowing, When I try to start it cold it fires right off before a full revolution. Thanks for the input guys.

Back