Hate safety switches.

alleyyooper

Tractorologist
Got a call about a week ago, Al my trail mower won't start!! It is a Bunton with a 14HP kohler engine recoil starter. So I gathered up my small supply of won't start tools, spare spark plug knowen to be good that fits, squirt bottle of fresh gasoline, even some starter fluid and spark checker. I will only try strt fluid in extreame cases. Get there and determine it isn't flooded and fuel is flowing to the carb. Drizzle a bit of fuel down the carb and nothing is happening. remove the plug add new plug and squirt some fuel right in the cylinder, nothing.
Plug in the spark checker and no spark. I don't have tools to go any farther and also not a lot of time I can expend on it at that time.

Yesterday I went and picked it up. It is going to be a bugger as you just can't find any thing about the saftey switches on this thing. I might add that they sold out several years ago to Bob Cat, talk to some one there and they didn't even know their company bought Bunton out.

So I have it on hold till I can get Kare to hold down on the saftey switch while I crank it and watch the DMV to see it it is working or not and see if I can just jump it. Of course it could just be the engine coils that is bad.

:D Al

But as for the title of the thread I have to say that I couldn't agree more!!!!! Safety switches combined with past owner mods is even a worse combo.
It takes a wee bit of common Sense to run any machine, I do not feel like I need so much protection from myself.
Though some here might get their panties in a bunch if I were to tell you how to do it so I won't. But I have ripped out all of the wiring on a machine, more than once over the years, and rewired them from scratch//// and I guarantee you that none will ever have a safety switch problem ever again. I have deleted a few things and left others alone, very dependent on the particular machine at hand

If they would get rid of all those saftey switches and all the warnings (25 pages) in owners manuals the gene pool would improve.

Would be more people on earth with common sence.

So what was wrong with the Bunton? jumped the saftey switchs (2) and still no spark. Removed and tested the coil tested dead. Cleaned it up and it came to life. the blade engage saftey switch was intermittent. Owner said replace it wit a new one. Transmission one was fine.

:D Al

Back