HF 20 Ton Press Mods

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
This will be a series of things mostly already on YouTube to make this press better. First up is a small work table. I have an abundance of these metal shelf frames. I cut a few pieces & welded the frame. I already had some painted on one side 1/2" OSB for the bottom. The shelf measures 11 1/2" x 22". Its being held up by 1/2" carriage bolts right now. I have a project coming up using 3/4" round stock so I'll wait to see what scrap I have to make two pins.
20190602_144142.jpg20190605_160857.jpg20190605_163052.jpg

Yes, what Kenny said Jim! I have almost pulled the trigger on one of those several times but I cheaped out. One of these days probably.... Looking forward to seeing what else you do for it.

DAC

Yes, what Kenny said Jim! I have almost pulled the trigger on one of those several times but I cheaped out. One of these days probably.... Looking forward to seeing what else you do for it.

DAC
I went twice over a two year period to get one of these & didn't do it. They went on sale last year for $139.99 so I had to get it. I actually used it for the first time over the weekend. Now I know why so many upgrade to the air hydraulic jack. Pumping that thing is like watching paint dry :eek:

One of the best mods you can add is an air over hydraulic jack. I got mine for less than $90 and man is it easy to press things now! Plus with it you can stand to the side while pressing things apart so where you won't get hit if anything flies apart. Though I do usually wrap my part I'm pressing in a moving blanket just in case.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that keeps looking at them and not buying one. I've had to do both cross shafts on my front drive axle in the last year. Each time, I wished I had a press instead of having to depend on a buddy being home and able to help me.

Really wanting one of these but I just don't have any place to put it for as many times I'd use it... :mad:

Press does not have to be stored indoors. It could be a plant stand when off duty
Just put some grease on piston. I leave engine picker outdoors for as often as I use it no need for it to take up space in garage

One of the best mods you can add is an air over hydraulic jack. I got mine for less than $90 and man is it easy to press things now! Plus with it you can stand to the side while pressing things apart so where you won't get hit if anything flies apart. Though I do usually wrap my part I'm pressing in a moving blanket just in case.
Stop tempting me Daniel. I'm going through the same process with the air upgrade as I did with the press. I actually had one in my cart for the sale price & thought nah I can wait so back on the shelf it went. I think once I make a few punch & dies I'll use it more then pull the trigger on the air jack. I like that foot control too.

Back