HF Mini Tire Changer

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
for Christmas. Mrs. Claus listens to my requests well except one but I won’t go there. I researched these awhile back with mixed reviews. It looked like most struggled with these mainly because they didn’t know how a tire moves or what prevents it from moving. I’m looking forward to trying it out. Anybody else have one?
42D73D3B-C63A-4A99-B772-CA40C60428AD.jpeg

I do.

It has its places. Breaking a rusty stubborn bead is one of them.
On 6"-8" wheels it helps. Just did some 12" wheels and didn't even bother with it.

I have one and found the 1/2" all-thread is too weak and bends. The aluminum piece it threads into only has enough meat to allow tapping to 9/16" all-thread, but makes it much stronger. Otherwise they work great! Your results may find it fine as-is. A stubborn rusty bead caused my bending.

I just unboxed it this morning not really impressed but I’ll give it a try. I was just researching them on YouTube and my wife decided on her own to get it. She has asked me twice if I have tried it so to keep from her getting hurt I’ll make the best of it. My first thing I don’t like all the slop in the mount design. One guy replaced the factory pin with a bolt he torqued down good kept it solid.

Well I have a bad update on this thing. I broke the bead on one side of a 12” rear tire after way too much time. I flipped it over to do the other side for a few minutes and was ready to give up then the handle broke right below the black rubber handle grip. Another two inches closer to this handle and I would have took my nose off. I have until mid March with a 90 day warranty to return it. I think I’ll just get my money back. I took both tires outside and used a bumper Jack and broke down three beads in about 15 minutes.

Don't work to bad on 8" and smaller tires. Bigger tires go to a bigger machine. No problem if used for normal tire removal. The rusted 30 yo tires will be problems.
A bead is a bead no matter the size. Actually the larger the tire the more flex which would be easier. It’s suppose to be rated for up to 12” wheels.

Another thing I noticed is the shoe that bites inside the lip against the bead is too short. The shank that it’s welded to hits the edge of the wheel preventing mine from reaching the bead. I tried the several adjustments but it was still too short.

OUCH! My HF tire changer does that and lets me pull tires off the rims! And it's not the Mini!
Kenny are using the larger HF tire changer for your tractor tires also. I was looking at that and wondering if it could be adapted for the smaller wheels.

Last edited:
Back