How much are you guys paying for machine work?

dodge trucker

Tractorologist
As title says. I just picked up my k301 today. And while some of the charges seem plenty fair, some I'm not happy with.
I've used these guys for my last 4 engine jobs and a V8 head valve job. and the prior 3, I thought they were very fair. 3 of these were cast iron Kohler's and 1 (the one immediately prior to the one I picked up today) was my slant 6 in my truck.
This was the first time that I got a printed invoice. . I've gotten hand written bills on the prior Kohler's but on the set of v8 heads they did for me a couple of years ago and in my slant 6, the owner just figured it up in his head and gave me a number.
I just paid $300 for the machine work (I bought the parts elsewhere besides, not included in that $300) on this K301. As I was directed to do, once I knew the extent of machine work needed. Some of the charges were plenty fair but the 2 that have me mad are the $20 to "inspect/clean small engine head and block".
And the $25 haz mat/safety disposal fee. A little excessive wouldn't you say?
I did have them check and machine the top face (cyl head surface) because it was bubbling out the side between the head gasket and block when it last ran, and it was in fact 0.010 warped. That was $45. Doesn't seem terrible. (I had replaced the head gasket and decarboned the top end, probably 30 hours of run time before I tore it down
They charged me $40 to do same thing to the head. The head only took 0.006 to get flat. Still more than I'd have wanted to hand sand, on a glass block.
It was $90 to cut the crank 0.010,the last one (was a few years ago) the same shop got me for $60 and;
a) at the time they didn't machine cranks there themselves /had to farm it out, I don't know if they've since gotten their own lathe
And. B) the last one also had to go 0.020 not 0.010 like this one.
They only got me for $55 to bore the block 0.020 I didn't think that was horrible.
They charged me $30 to do valves and seats, again not terrible.
But certainly $45 in charges that I think are total BS....
As has been said, I've used these guys before, when Ive checked their work (remeasured everything when I've gotten my parts home) it's always dead nuts on, and this time they actually got to my stuff pretty quickly although I didn't ask for "anything special" there. The last time I made the mistake of telling them I wasn't in a hurry and they definitely took advantage of that .....when they did my slant 6...
Even though they're bombarded, Ive never seen so many jobs piled up when I would walk in the door...

I had them resurface a flywheel for me, (I'm converting that truck that I put the slant 6 into from an auto to a stick) and I didn't think the $45 for that was that bad, and was in a 2nd shop ticket since I had brought that in like a week before I brought the Kohler in to them for it's machine work.

I don't really know what to tell you about the charges. One thing I go by is if the place has a backlog of work their prices are usually pretty much the going rate. if their waiting for work they are either doing bad work or charging too much. Or both. The other thing is they may have started using an accounting firm or program to do their billing for them. Especially since you now getting a printed invoice.

But $45 in bill padding that really didn't involve them doing a damn thing to my parts? Those 2 charges are not "machine work". These guys have never charged me for these bogus fees. And yeah the hazmat thing I could understand a few dollars, certainly that would be under $10....
Had I brought them a V8 with both heads and it's much larger crank would it have been $100 because of the increased "surface area"?
One other time a business pulled that hazmat bullshit on me when I had my tank filled for my MIG. $96 for the full tank and $25 hazmat there as well....

Our county charges a wheel tax when you renew your license plates. I asked what that was for and she said it was for tire disposal. I asked her where she wants my old tires and she looked at me like I was crazy. I said hey your charging for something that your not providing what's with that? Told her to forget it as I know it wasn't her idea.
Probably 20 years ago they did have a tire recycling weekend here but that was a one time deal.

Though some of them are higher than what they were for the same work on another k 301 (or was that the 14hp 321?) done by the same guys at the same shop, (ok assuming they had to farm out the crank cut to the same shop they farmed it out to the last time, ok yeah... Gas is more expensive than it was then)
I don't have a problem with the charges for what they actually physically DID to my parts... Bore, gone, grind, mill, etc . But $20 to "inspect"? And $25 haz mat are ridiculous. I already inspected the parts and determined them to have been good but worn .. and needing to go to the machine shop. So is that charge, just for them to run a mike and cylinder gauge over them?
I like the work they actually do, they do a good job..no questions about that. Never have been. but 2 charges designed just to pad the bill, shouldn't be allowed. Especially since they've never done so (to me anyway) before. The saddest part is that there aren't any other machine shops in any direction from them for at least a50 mile radius... They're ~50 miles from home but 12 from work.... Albeit in a direction from work that I rarely go.
And the only one within striking distance without having to take off early from work to get there during their hours.

Last edited:
Ive never been charged for that before.
the description of the $20 was "inspect/clean Small engine Head and Block" they didnt "clean" much.... still got as much yellow paint on the block as it had when I dropped it off....

I had the head on June Bug dipped and magnafluxed for cracks. $50 and to be honest most of the corrosion was still in the water jacket.

Back