How to reduce V belt slippage.

dh1

Electric Tractors . from Markham Ont. Canada
Staff member
As the tittle says how do you reduce V belt slippage?

My GE tractors are driven by 2 x 3/8 wide belts, no tensioner pulley.
Problem is belt slippage in the higher gears when under heavy load.
The pulleys are good, clean, and not bent, made of cast iron. Belts tight.
Cannot put a wider belt on as they will not fit the pulleys.

Suggestion's, advice?

2 things that you can do to help. First rough up the pulley contact area with some 60-100 grit sandpaper, those area get polished very smooth like glass over the years. Second is buy a good set of matching belts made with Kevlar and make sure that they don't get glazed over with use. If you can find area with enough room to attach an idler pulley, it would help even more. Hope that helps Doug!

Last edited:
The single pulley with weld on Hub from Princes Auto might work, they take a 1/2" or 5/8" belt.

I'm no engineer, but I would think that even one 5/8 belt would grip better than two 3/8.....I could be wrong
Actually, one of our two milk parlor vacuum pumps ran three 3/8 belts, and the other one ran two 5/8 belts. The one running three 3/8 belts lasted longer and needed less adjustments. I'm certainly no engineer either, just an observation.

I think GE used the small belts to increase run time, less resistance than using wider belts.
Also limit the torque to the trany, electric motor they used makes max torque at zero rpm.

Rough up your pullies and use a good rubber belt.

I wouldn't personally recommend Kevlar or Woven Belts. They take more tension to grip properly than a standard rubberized belt.

Raw rubber edged belts will help BUT they are not to be used in a clutching situation as they won't slip. Cog belts are generally rubber edged and run cooler.

Back