How to remove broken bolts

larrybl

Tractorologist
Wasn't sure where to put this, but I thought it would give us another option to remove broken bolts. I have everything except the left handed drill bits and the center drill bit thing to try this. Anyone know of a source for these?

You can get creative with a guide for your bits. I usually just center punch and hold the drill and do my best to keep it in place.

I have a set of left handed bits that came from Lawson products. Center punches I dont know where they came from.

I may try to fab something up like that, I also like the drilled bolts to keep the bit centered, but this requires the bolt to be broken off deep. Mine usually break flush.

How do you break a fastener under the surface? This looks like a setup.
The one actually looked like a set screw and not a broken bolt.
And when a bolt breaks, there is usually a necked down section.

And I'm a bit of an old timer, I can't imagine wearing gloves when working on this kind of stuff.
On outside dirty stuff maybe, but not inside.

The video does seem a bit "staged". Everything seem really clean for broken bolts. None the less, left handed drill bits have worked for me. Between the heat created from drilling and the vibration, it can cure the problem. Not saying it will work every time. I have pretty good luck just using a regular center punch. Just takes some patience and good eyesite.... Both of which are dwindling in my older age!

Isn't this the truth. I can't see close either with my glasses or without.

"patience and good eyesite.... Both of which are dwindling in my older age! "

I have found that a smaller center punch is easier to get in the center of a bolt that has broken off. But that video looks as phony as the day is long in my opinion, unless they are looking at it from the back side. ? ?

Welding a nut to the broken off bolt works well but it takes patience. You heat the bolt it expands making it tighter. Works best if you weld it let it cool completely then try to take it out

Last edited:
Look up Amico ARC-160D 160 Amp Stick Arc DC Welder 110/230V Dual Input Voltage Welding

its 149 dollars for a little dual voltage arc welder. A friend of mine bought one for working on his derby cars. He bought it a few weeks ago and for a hobbyist he does quite a bit of welding. Things welds pretty darn good for a 149 dollar welder from China. More than adequate for most small time welding projects.

3 of the 40 dollar centering drill bit guides and a set of left handed drill bits would more than pay for the welder, helmet, and welding rods.

Back